3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please

Yes Arizona has a Stupid Motorist law. Basically During flooding/heavy rain if you decide to cross a wash or stream that is flowing and you get stuck and need rescuing all damages to your vehicle are not covered by the insurance company, you have to pay a fairly large fine, and on top of the fine you have to pay for the rescue crew to come out and get you. All together she had to pay a $5,000-$6,000 dollar fine and the insurance company flat out said that they wont cover it.

So Far we drained the oilabout 4 timesand the same withtransmition fluid, replaced all the plugs and wires andthe Battery. Whats worrying me right now though is that she said when the hood first went under she heard alot of clunking from under the hood (she described it best as likewhat herlast car did whenher boyfriend at the time adjusted the timing in the wrong direction and she bent the hell out of all her valves!)so I dont know how bad the engine internals are. We are going to attempt to do a compression test when I get off work today to see how much we need to do. From the sound of it though we may just have to buy a new engine and replace the damn thing and that is assumng that the tranny and rear end are still good.

As for the electrical, Surprising enough the headlights and brake lights still work, the $1,500 alpine system she just had installed last week is completely shot, and her power windows and locks are shot. There is probably alot more electrical problems than that but that is all we know of for now.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

It is done... water just doesn't compress... she destroyed the engine. And I totally agree with OldMoparMan, you never know if any of the other important things are going to work when you need them.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM
TReX5.7
Professional

I pretty much agree with everyone, not to mention even if you did restore the engine and electrical, how reliable will that truck be from now on? That would be in the back of my mind every time I turn the key.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:01 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: truckin151

Yes Arizona has a Stupid Motorist law. Basically During flooding/heavy rain if you decide to cross a wash or stream that is flowing and you get stuck and need rescuing all damages to your vehicle are not covered by the insurance company, you have to pay a fairly large fine, and on top of the fine you have to pay for the rescue crew to come out and get you. All together she had to pay a $5,000-$6,000 dollar fine and the insurance company flat out said that they wont cover it.

So Far we drained the oilabout 4 timesand the same withtransmition fluid, replaced all the plugs and wires andthe Battery. Whats worrying me right now though is that she said when the hood first went under she heard alot of clunking from under the hood (she described it best as likewhat herlast car did whenher boyfriend at the time adjusted the timing in the wrong direction and she bent the hell out of all her valves!)so I dont know how bad the engine internals are. We are going to attempt to do a compression test when I get off work today to see how much we need to do. From the sound of it though we may just have to buy a new engine and replace the damn thing and that is assumng that the tranny and rear end are still good.

As for the electrical, Surprising enough the headlights and brake lights still work, the $1,500 alpine system she just had installed last week is completely shot, and her power windows and locks are shot. There is probably alot more electrical problems than that but that is all we know of for now.
Sorry man, if you ever get stuck again, I live in Avondale and if available will be more than happy to help you out. by next summer I will have my 12.5 winch on the truck, until then it is all up to straps. p.m. me for phone number if you want.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well regardless we have to try and fix it before we scrap it. Basically she doesn't have enough to buy a new car or make the payments on a loan. She saved up the money to pay off the truck andhad just enough left overto addsome extras on it too. Right now everyone involved is pitching in to help get the parts needed to fix it up to running condition again.And ifwe justscrap it she wont have a vehicle, right now she is using mymoms car to drive to work but she only has it til next weekend after that my mom needs it back.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an extra engine,5.7L, whats in the truck?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

ORIGINAL: truckin151

Sorry man, if you ever get stuck again, I live in Avondale and if available will be more than happy to help you out. by next summer I will have my 12.5 winch on the truck, until then it is all up to straps. p.m. me for phone number if you want.
Thanks for the offer but its alright, I have some tow cables as does my dad. The problem was that Iwas at homein my house inGilbert, my dadwas at home inMesaWhen she didit up around the north Scottsdale area

Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

i have an extra engine,5.7L, whats in the truck?
She has a 4.7L in it right now I believe, I'd have to double check after I get off work to be sure though, I know for a fact she doesn't have a hemi in it though.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

If it were mine, I'd take the opportunity and slide in one of these.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/MPCrateEngines.asp

Old 08-03-2007, 03:15 PM
uk guy
Rookie

how long was it in the wash for ?

do everything said, then spray all electrical motors with WD-40 this will help drive out any water from them.

you'll have to spray each electrical connector with some contact cleaner, change all safety sensors just incase !

good luck cos your gona need it !

Quick Reply: Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please