3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please

Well my sister went out and bought an 03' 4x4 about 3 weeks ago andthe other dayin all her wisdom shedecided torun it through a flowing wash thinking it wasn't that deep....... Well when we towed it out of the wash about 75ft off the side of the road,it was sumbersed to about the rear view mirror.

I know it sucked in alot of water. I have never delt with something this bad before, the engine is completely flooded.Has anyone delt with this before orcan anyone offer any advise?Nothing is covered by any warranty or insurance in this case (Arizonas "Stupid Motorist Law") so we are going to try todo what we can before we take it anywhere. Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Default RE: Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please

That thing is toast. I did something similar in an old Toyota in the NJ Pine Barrens. Sunk it in muddy water that looked like it was about 6 inches deep. Sunk it up to the wiper blades. Needed all new electical, new computer, new MAF, new TB, new exhaust manifold, blah, blah blah. It would have cost a small fortune to fix, so I just junked it.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Wow that sucks. That thing is probably shot. [&:]

Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain the oil
Drain the tranny
drain the diffs
pull the spark plugs, spin the engine over to get water out of the cylinders, do not spin the engine until the plugs are out.
pull the computor plug, dry with compressed air, do this with all connectors on the engine, dont forget to dry both sides.also pull the TPS and dry thoroughly
remove the engine computor, set in the sun to evaporate all the moisture in the comp.
Clean the throttle body thoroughly with throttle body cleaner
replace oil, air and tranny filters, there are 2 in the tranny, one flat filter, and one canister filter, you will have to get the canister from the dealer, get 3 sets of tranny filters and two cases of fluid, it will take several flushes to get all the water out of the system(torque converter holds about 2 quarts)
fill with oil,reinstall dried computor, replace plugs and wires and give it a try. it will take a bit of work to start because of the TB cleaner you squirted down its throat.

if it starts, warm to operating temp in neutral, change oil and tranny fluid, look for bright pink fluid or water settled in the drain pan. you will see brownish oil for a couple of changes due to moisture build up in the block and heads, change oil about once a week untill this stops. Use the cheapest oil you can find for the first couple of changes, no need to use mobil one to flush water out. Needless to say, dont go on any trips untill all the fluids look clean and free of water.

Pull the interior out and wash thoroughly with something like simple green, test on a small spot first to make sure its not going to fade the fabric. let it sit out in the sun and dry. Do the same as you did on the engine connections to the interior connections. dry thoroughly with compressed air.

We did this to my neighbors truck (Dorf) after it followed his boat into the lake. It is a 2003 and everything works on it now.But it was 3 solid days worth of work. the sooner you get started, the better off you will be.

Keep us informed as to your progress! GOOD LUCK!![sm=sorry.gif]

Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM
peoples1234
Rookie

I'm not from Ariz so don't laugh if this is a stupid question, but it there seriously something called the "Stupid motorist law" or even something similar by name or nature.

To the question:

Some one backed into my F150 years ago at a marina and it wentfor a swim in the james river (VA), and this was three weeks after I just put a sweet *** motor in it thatI hadbuilt myself. Long story short, I got it running after replacing most the electricals (computer, wiring harness, etc.)and what not, but it was never the same and many things did not work any more (AC/radio, etc.) Let me tell you, it sucked.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:05 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell it for scrap, that is allthe truckis worth. As for the sister, I'd sell her for scrap also. Red

Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

Be advised that as the water dries out, there's no gaurantee that anything electrical, including airbag sensors, are going to work, or work correcly again.

If she doesn't have collision on her insurnce, do your best to drain all fluids, rears, transfercase and everything mentioned, and hope for the best.

If it's insured, it's totalled. Insurance companies will total a water/flood car with less damage to it, because of the liability of safety features and devices that may fail, not to mention the constant open-claims due to continual failing electrical componants.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know about the rest of the stuff, but there's a process us old rednecks been usingon ATV engines that get submerged for years...
Do exactly what horseapples said, except after you use the cheap motor oil on the first successfull crank, letting it run for no more than5 mins, drain & use Marvel Mystery Oil on the second, after 10 min run time drain and go to 1/2 MMO & 1/2 cheap oil, if water still shows do it again at the half & half mix, until it drains water free. I've heard multiple explanations for why, from the fact that water droplets adhere to the MMO or it coats the interior parts so that water flows out better and others. I really don't know why, I just know that it always seems to work on great ATV engines...

Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

Drain the oil
Drain the tranny
drain the diffs
pull the spark plugs, spin the engine over to get water out of the cylinders, do not spin the engine until the plugs are out.
pull the computor plug, dry with compressed air, do this with all connectors on the engine, dont forget to dry both sides.also pull the TPS and dry thoroughly
remove the engine computor, set in the sun to evaporate all the moisture in the comp.
Clean the throttle body thoroughly with throttle body cleaner
replace oil, air and tranny filters, there are 2 in the tranny, one flat filter, and one canister filter, you will have to get the canister from the dealer, get 3 sets of tranny filters and two cases of fluid, it will take several flushes to get all the water out of the system(torque converter holds about 2 quarts)
fill with oil,reinstall dried computor, replace plugs and wires and give it a try. it will take a bit of work to start because of the TB cleaner you squirted down its throat.

if it starts, warm to operating temp in neutral, change oil and tranny fluid, look for bright pink fluid or water settled in the drain pan. you will see brownish oil for a couple of changes due to moisture build up in the block and heads, change oil about once a week untill this stops. Use the cheapest oil you can find for the first couple of changes, no need to use mobil one to flush water out. Needless to say, dont go on any trips untill all the fluids look clean and free of water.

Pull the interior out and wash thoroughly with something like simple green, test on a small spot first to make sure its not going to fade the fabric. let it sit out in the sun and dry. Do the same as you did on the engine connections to the interior connections. dry thoroughly with compressed air.

We did this to my neighbors truck (Dorf) after it followed his boat into the lake. It is a 2003 and everything works on it now.But it was 3 solid days worth of work. the sooner you get started, the better off you will be.

Keep us informed as to your progress! GOOD LUCK!![sm=sorry.gif]
Do that, do you have all the tools and mechanical know how? You can pm me if you need info I might have. and Arizona does have a stupid motorist law specifically for floods

Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Just take it to a professional right away. I seriously wouldn't even mess with it for the thought of making something worse. Water damage can be pretty wicked and usually destroys a vehicle when that happens.

Quick Reply: Water Damage..... Need help/Advise Please