3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
RailroadMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question

The 07 Rams have ESP, the system is sensitive - hit some dirt on the side of a paved road, and the system downshifted to slow the truck down while I never took my foot of the gas. Also, there's junk tires (poorly designed tread pattern)out there that will slide with the least amount ofeffort.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Lufti

The ram pushes like a pig, to get it to spin you're going to need massive ammounts of forward weight transfer.

You probably slammed on the brakes while turning at the limit. Go take a driver education course with the SCCA. Not the trucks fault.

well.... No, I was on the gas, not the brakes. It was my fault to slam on the gas while there was standing water on the pavement though.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

The auto tranny's (I think just about every make) will shut the engine down if you throw your vehicle into reverse while driving straight, to protect the tranny (this is how it was explained to me at least). So going in reverse during a skid with the transmission in drive would have the same effect. I don't think it has anything to do with the braking... I know rigs with the jake breaks will cut out if you slam the brakes too hard. Vandersnoot, what driving school did you go through? I went to skip barber, what a freakin great time. You do get to learn a lot of evasive manuvering and such in the classroom then get to try it out in real life. It was cool, because it was a dodge school, every kind of dodge vehicle you could imagine was there. A great class that helped me out many times since then (18 when I took the class). And about throwing the vehicle into neutral is true too... watched a special on the secret service (that should make me an expert, right?)and they were showing how they could spin those armor plated limos around on a dime (wicked sweet), and they would throw the tranny in N to keep it from stalling out during the spin. Lufti, sounds like time to get some new tires.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Lufti

FFMedic,
where can i sign up for one of those dodge driving school?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CMA

The ram pushes like a pig, to get it to spin you're going to need massive ammounts of forward weight transfer.

You probably slammed on the brakes while turning at the limit. Go take a driver education course with the SCCA. Not the trucks fault.
Looks like this guy is a lawyer for dodge. The trucks can spin out with heavy accleration like he stated. If you start to spin, then slam on the breaks it would be a problem. Have you never heard of hydroplaning? There is no pressure of the breaks required.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
RailroadMan
Rookie

Skip Barber Driving School is now co-sponsored by Mazda, used to be Dodge (drove a Neon, Dakota, and Viper). Check out their website. Bondurant also runs a driving school. It will make you a better driver, because you see how easy it is to lose control and what it takes to get the car going where you want it to.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I'm still wondering what the road conditions were like?? I'm guessing it was wet out cuz I dunno how by just mashin the pedal you could get yourself to do more then mebbe a slight fishtail let alone over a 360

Old 08-04-2007, 10:43 AM
bobbylight
Professional

drivers edge www.driversedge.com/
its for teenagers but its free and you get to push the limits of there 2006 bmw 325i's.
Very Fun!

Old 08-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Lufti

I'm still wondering what the road conditions were like??

Ben D. It has been raining heavily all day. The road was not only wet, but also there probably was some standing water. It definately was not smart of me to do what I did

Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Ben D.
Champion

welll then it makes perfect sense what happened to you. not too hard to do a spin when you mash the pedal on wet roads.

Quick Reply: Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question