3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
ibanezta
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

im about to buy headers for my 2006 ram 4x4. who makes the best bang for the buck setup? i want the dynatech headers. but waondering if there's any other system out there that is comperable with those. also...any info on the new tti headers?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: headers

I have the luxury of having a performance shop that specializes in Hemi's less than 5 miles from me. They are VERY highly regarded on all the forums.
As they are going to do my cam & related work when I get that far, I've been picking the guy's brain recently and he showed me dynos of just about all the brands.
Dynatecs are the best, no doubt, but the Pacesetter LT's are a not too distant 2nd, and you could about get 3 sets for the price of the Dynatecs.
I have ordered a set, and they are at a shop in Orlando (abour 45 miles away) getting ceramic coating (a suggestion also made at the perf. shop, as they insist this particular shop does a coating 10x better than factory). Cost of the headers and local ceramic coating is only about $100 more than ordering coated from the factory, so I figured to give them a try.
As they should be ready to be picked up, I'm gonna try to get it done this week, I'll let you know how they come out...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
HEMIBOY04
Professional

Does anyone know if the pacesetter or any other headers in general will go from a 04 and fit on a 07??? I have pacesetter lt's on my 04 but i'm trading it fora 07 and i was just curious. The bungs on the lt's weren't put in the right place and corrections had to be made. pacesetter admitted to having fitment problems with the 04 when they first made the headers and was kinda of a to bad so sad deal. either way i got them to fit and love them. I'm just really curious about the fitment from 04 to 07. both are 1500 4x4's. the charts i've seen say they fit from 04-06 so i'm thinking 07 hasn't been added to the list!? I appreciate any help info

Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

I love my JBA's. I don't know where they rank with you guys, but they're ideal for me.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just adding a bit to it...

I've thought about getting headers, read several articles on them and searched the forums. My questions would be was it worth it ? Also, do you have to re-torque the bolts every so often (I believe so ??)...and how much of a pain in the neck is it really?

Thanks,...

Old 09-18-2007, 06:28 PM
roost

Just found this forum, and saw this thread. I have a '07 Hemi QC that was used by Doug Thorley for R&D for new headers. As they told me, the '07 has the cats up closer to the logs than previous years. The header they designed is due to be released VERY soon as the first production run is due out of ceramic coat by Thursday with the first set going on my truck next Tuesday. Dyno on the prototypes netted 12hp with no other changes, a bit more is expected from the production pieces. A word of caution.... if you mess with the resonators and muffler on a MDS truck, it'll sound, uh, different. [&:]Installation of the headers will require that the cats have flanges welded to them to bolt to the header flanges.
I don't work for Thorley, they just used my truck to develop the '07 headers. Hope this helps out.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Rabones22
Rookie

I heard gibson headers were good but I dont have too much info on that other than i've heard they're really sweet.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
roost

To update this. Doug Thorley installed the headers and I've had a few days to get used to it. First thingI noticed is it'll smoke the tires now (with the 20's!). The torque range has moved lower where it's more usable and pulls harder in the higher rpm's. A little throatier exhaust, but no drone, and not "louder". Second, when cruising at around 65 (it's sweet spot for gas mileage) with a VERY soft right foot, I could get 20.1 mpg out of it and that was all. Now, it's best is 23. Does it mean anything? Don't really know, as the wife drives it 90% of the time, but I'll be able to tell for sure on an extended road trip next week.
They are finishing up the first production run, so they should be available in a few weeks.
Now the sickness rears it's ugly head. Do I put a chip in it or a cold air intake? Or both? And with the wife driving it most of the time, do I bother? Decisions, decisions......

Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell her to go buy her own truck so you can mods yours lol

Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 PM
05redhemi
Professional

ORIGINAL: roost

First thingI noticed is it'll smoke the tires now (with the 20's!).
how hard is it to smoke the 20" tires? waiting till i get my new tires in befor playing with the old set

Quick Reply: headers