3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbo and Towing ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turbo and Towing ?

Pardon my interruption as I don't have any kind of forced induciton on my truck but I've built all kinds of turbo cars over the past 15+ years from an 89 Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback to my 12.5-second Stealth to my brother's 505whp Supra.

Our trucks still use MAP to control fueling which is what other vehicles pay to convert their MAF systems to (see the HKS VPC). You mean to tell me there aren't any add-on boxes that can take the TPS signal and "monkey" with the pressure reading to trick the ECU into fueling it like you want at each rpm level?

I wonder if something like the Apexi SAFC would be adaptable to our trucks. It's not as good as direct ECU control (I have open source ECU tuning on my Subaru Legacy - full control of any and everything I want!) but perhaps we can trick it into doing what you desire. It sure beats no fueling control!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Don't even THINK about comparing another company's pcm to the the Dodge Hemi trucks.

We STS turbo/hemi guys use the smt-6 hemi kit.

We can control the fuel.

But it won't work for towing unless you remove the charge pipe from the throttle body.

What are you thoughts?

Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Oh, I've read about how much of a nightmare the pcm is in any DC vehicle, and how it's delayed / perplexed Superchips and others over the last few years. That's why I thought a piggyback device would be the easiest & quickest way to get what you're looking for.

The SAFC (super air flow converter) manipulates the pressure sensor readings to trick the ECU into delivering more or less fuel than it normally would at a given rpm. It offers presets so you could easily have "normal" and "tow" settings, with the tow mode being much richer for safety. Of course the documentation doesn't cover installation on our trucks (and probably any domestic vehicle) but the principles are the same.

I've only briefly looked over the turbo section so I won't pretend to be familiar with what's currently being used -- I may be talking about a moot point if you're already doing what I'm describing via another method. All my mod money is going to my car for now - bigger turbo, intercooler, etc, but the truck will eventually see some real power adders.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:13 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: John M

Oh, I've read about how much of a nightmare the pcm is in any DC vehicle, and how it's delayed / perplexed Superchips and others over the last few years. That's why I thought a piggyback device would be the easiest & quickest way to get what you're looking for.

The SAFC (super air flow converter) manipulates the pressure sensor readings to trick the ECU into delivering more or less fuel than it normally would at a given rpm. It offers presets so you could easily have "normal" and "tow" settings, with the tow mode being much richer for safety. Of course the documentation doesn't cover installation on our trucks (and probably any domestic vehicle) but the principles are the same.

I've only briefly looked over the turbo section so I won't pretend to be familiar with what's currently being used -- I may be talking about a moot point if you're already doing what I'm describing via another method. All my mod money is going to my car for now - bigger turbo, intercooler, etc, but the truck will eventually see some real power adders.
Our pcm monitors the map voltage vs. throttle position. Giving it too much map voltage at too low of an rpm (to get more fuel) will result in a limp mode. We also don't have the ability to bounce between open and closed loop driving at part throttle. Least we don't "yet".

Old 08-18-2007, 01:45 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Damn these "smart" computers! The more they monitor the harder it is to get 'em to do what you want. Turbo cars from the early-mid 90s didn't do any input validation which made the job much easier.

One of the biggest tuning aids for my Subaru was having total control of when it switched open/closed loop. Too bad the open source community hasn't tackled the Dodge pcm yet. It'd be a huge tuning tool whether it's a mostly stock truck or wildly modded.

Quick Reply: Turbo and Towing ?