3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help on leveling my 03 Dodge Rams front end.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 AM
mrneg9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on leveling my 03 Dodge Rams front end.

Hi guys.

I have decided to go ahead and level the front end of my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4. I have read many of your guys posts on this subject and have a couple of questions for those who have done this. I measured in the rear and I have 36 inches. In the front I have 33 inches. I guess I have to come up 3 inches or close to that .

1st. Can I get the front end up enough by just turning my adjustment screws in in the torsion bars or do I need new new torsion bars?
2nd. Will I need to order new front shocks and which ones to get? I read bilstein makes some for the front but need to know a part number.

I am aware that I will need a front end alignment when I'm all done.

Any other info you guys might have would be much appreciated as I want to get this right the first time around.

Thanks, Derek

Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM
matsram
Professional
Default RE: Need help on leveling my 03 Dodge Rams front end.

by pushing them up i think you will get 2" out of stock set up. you will have to adjust your head lamps down when you do this or you will constintly be flashed by other drivers i too have the 03' qc and did this i'm now this weekend installing super lift helper leafs into the rear. cause our half ton trucks sag with a couple hundred pounds in the back, plus this is to give me a possible 1-2" lift in the rear to give me some of the rake back.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31008/979D2ED88201413CA83DC59654F276AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

He is correct by cranking up the torsion bolts you do get about 2". I had new torsion keys installed in my truck. They are not tightened up all the way and i have about 2" of lift. This makes me sit about .5" lower in the front, which is what i wanted. I do have room to tighten the torsion bolts more and could make my front end higher than my rear end if i desired. New shocks probably wont be required but i would definately recommend them. When i go over a large bump mine tend to top out. I would suggest looking for a shock that is either 2" longer or has 2" more of travel to avoid this. Rancho makes a great shock, as does edelbrock.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
muscleman320
Professional

hey guys, my friend was just thinking about getting a leveling kit for the front, ive heard of cranking up the tortion bars but i never knew what was involved, so if i tighten them up and get 2" longer shocks is that all i have to do? what else is involved?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM
TraptuR
Rookie

i have a regular cab and have been wondering the same thing for a whyle now. can i achieve the same look by caranking the torsion bolts?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM
mrneg9
Amateur

I recently put super springs on the rear of my 03 Dodge ram due to the rearsag on my 1500and they brought the back end up one inch farther. Not to mention it tows the boat a lot better without all that sag.

Some one out there has to have the answers for the front end leveling. Shocknumbers ect.\ ????????????????????????????

Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

To "crank up your torsion bars" all you need to do is get a breaker bar and 18mm socket and tighten the bolts in. You will only be able to get 2" of height this way and it has been said to cause more wear on the joints. I'm not exactly sure i dazed of in this part of the convo with my mechanic.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can afford it get the new keys, they are more efficient than cranking the bolts, no additional wear on any front end components, and you won't stiffen your ride quality like cranking would. They are not that expensive and are a fairly easy install. If you crank anywhere up near the max, you will get a much harsher ride. Some don't mind it, some do.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran

I also leveled my a while back, the truck does ride a little stiffer and my shocks were topping out. I went with PRO COMP E3000's and I was impressed over the stock shock. Best yet they were only like 160.00 to my door. I liked them so much I bought a set for my Durango also

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT1819T3306.aspx

Quick Reply: Need help on leveling my 03 Dodge Rams front end.