3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flowmaster question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 PM
5romero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: flowmaster question?

Honestly I'm not sure. I know the Hemi with MDS needs the back pressure in order to keep the low end tourqe. With the 40 series, The only issue i had was when I towed, other then that iw was great overall.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 PM
5romero

Atually, now that I think about it, here is what L and R Two left on my original post when I asked about the 40 series and what to swicth out to;

"Good thing that you switched to the 50. I did not get to see this post, but the 40 was designed for the true duals. If you were running one 40 muffler with a single in single out or even a double out, then you would have ran into alot of problems. Glad everything worked out."

Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 PM
dlpreston
Rookie

Switched from a Flow Super 40 to a Hooker straight through. 3" inliet and 2-2.5 outlets dumped under the rear of the cab....but I plan on running headers by next spring/summer.

The Flow compared to the Hooker muffler has a different tone. The Hooker is much quiter at idle, but has an old school Harley (deep) rumble above idle. I can only say the Hooker muffler is quieter at idle....nowhere else.

I bought my Hooker for 89.00....lol

Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 PM
megacab19

ORIGINAL: 5romero

If you MDS, from what my exhaust guy researched for me is not only the 50 series, but the Delta Flow 50 series. It make a big difference when you have the MDS. The cabin noise is minimal. you can here it if you step on it but it's not overwhelming. I removed both front and rear res' at the advice of my exhaust guy in order to get the full potential of the muffler. I've had no problems with the engine, lights, etc.I have actually had my brother in-law, who is a Dodge service guy at the dealer run it on the computers and all the readings were normal with increased HP. The only other mod that I've done is added a K&N drop in air fileter which has made a bit of a difference. Next Mod will actually going to a K&N cold air intake.
I put in one of K&N's drop in filters and I actually saw and felt a big difference. How much of a gain did you get with delta 50's? THese are the ones that I think that i am going to go with. so you took it all the way from the y pipe to the tip? do you have dual exits or single exit at the rear?

Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 AM
5romero

Its from right after the Y pipe removing both res' with a single 3" in and dual 2.25" out the side behind the rear tires. My brother in-law said with my set-up, I'm getting about and estimate of about 13 - 15 % increase in overall HP and probably will see about a4-6 % increase in MPG. We just took a day trip to Colorado Spring yeasterday, about 150 mile round trip, and per my computer it was reading 24.8 mpg average. I used a 1/8 tank round trip (26 gal. tank). On the same trip prior, with the stock system, I was using right under 1/4 of a tank and about 18.5 mpg or so. So I have seen an increase there too.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
megacab19

thanks for the input. I also found out so good news also. The mega cabs do not have the MDS HEMIs. I can finally get the exhaust set-up that I want and not have to worry about what it is going to soound like when the MDS kicks in. YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: flowmaster question?