3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Starter Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Starter Woes

As if I didn't have enough on my plate right now, I turned my truck into the dealer for the 6th, count 'em 5 times before tomorrow's visit, for my remote starter and now I have to return it tomorrow fix the problem, hopefully. A little history here. When I bought my truck back in October I asked for a remote starter to be included so they threw in a mopar remote starter on my 1st return to the dealership which also included my spray in bed liner and a permawax and a permascotchguard. This visit the remote starter was not working so they found out the 06 mopar remote starter was not compatable with the 07.

Visit # 2 they said I needed to have both FOBs present for them to program a new piece of hardware in my truck so they try this and it is not the quick fix they are hoping for so they removed my non-compatable remote starter. They told me they would call me when Mopar released the 2007 version and they got one in stock.

Visit # 3they called a few weeks later and said they had one in stock. I returned and they installed a remote starter that happened to work with my truck.

Now between my 3rd and 4th visits I was experiencing aseemingly random problem, my FOB would not work from time to time but I was never able to narrow it down to a specific source. I washad a million things going on including a deployment so returning my truck to get this checked out was not a high priority on my to do's. Now in mid July my calender slowed down and right after my family vacation I had the FOB problem happen 3 times in a week. I was finally able to isolate it to using the remote starter, at least for about70% of the time. What would happen is I would hit the remote starter and the fob would not work. The next time I hit the remote starter my fobwould work, etc..

Visit # 4 I called the dealership and made an appointment to get this checked out. I brought my truck in and this was one of the days it was not having the FOB problem. They ran their tests and everything came out fine. They kept saying they could not find the problem and saying I needed to bring it in when I had the problem again. Anyway they were just about to hand me my keys when they noticed a part recall on the remote starter that they said was several months old. I'm thinking, good job their guys, tell me I am full of crap about my problem meanwhile you're not reading recalls. Anyway theydid not have the part in stock so they ordered it for me.

Visit #5 I dropped my truck off at 7:30 this morning and they said they should have it fixed by noon at the latest. I get a call at 12:30that it's ready. I have just enough time for my buddy to pick me up, grab my truck and get back to work on time. Without checking to see it if works, 100% my fault, I grab my truck an leave. Upon arrival to work I test my remote starter and tada, it does not work at all. With this and getting the run around about my knee surgery I am about to do bodily harm to someone. I called back very very PO'd. While I did not say what I was thinking because that would not get me any results other than venting I did make abundantly clear I was not happy with their service.

I semi politely asked if they could work overtime to fix THEIR eff up, of course not. A lack of planning on my part and a lack of them doing a complete job does not justify overtime. I kep letting them know I can't just leave when I want from work to turn in my truck again and again. I even let them know this was going to be my 6th visit for this problem to no avail. They offered a rental car which is a nice gesture but I am in the Army so I would have to get a Visitor's pass so it's not the most efficient thing for me to do. I will more than likely have one of my buddies pick me up from the dealership tomorrow and take me back to work. I also plan on haveing a chat with the service manager and if he does not give me the relief, I'll talk to his boss.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Foiled
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote Starter Woes

Depending on the State you are in you may have a Lemon Law case.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Sorry to hear about the problems again. I thought this was all done with...

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

This is why i go aftermarket..... I have a remote start system in my truck and have not had a problem yet. It is a Clifford and works wonderfully.... for Dodge their "money maker" is their vehicles.... NOT the little toys we all want.... so their effort in making quality "toys".... na da... they do it soly for the little profit here and their. contrary to popular belief.... the Manufacturer mod's are not always the best.... If i want a specific "toy" for my truck i go to a company who does just that.... like remote start and alarms.... Clifford's "money maker" IS alarm systems and such... if their stuff doesn't work... they don't make de money... so they put ALOT more effort in making quality products...... This is just me talking and i speak for no one else... but i personally would never buy a dodge after market product.... they are always over priced...(like it costs 300 for window tint {saw this on an 07 mega side sitcker... you know the little 3 x11 papere with dealer add ons} well i can go to a reputable aftermarket tinter and have all windows done for about 200.... i have my QC done WITH a sunvisor strip on the front window.... 125... dodge tried to sell it to me for close to 245...(i still have the window sticker)) Anyways this is my .02.... but it has been my experience that buying a "toy" from a company who makes money only on that toy or that specific class of toy is more likely to build a quality product.....atleast 90% of the time.....(not all are perfect)

Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Pirata
Champion

I'm not getting rid of my truck but golly jee whiz this problem is really ticking me off. I am pretty sure I know what happened, the rookie mechanic changed the part out then did not reprogram the fobs but I really want to wring their necks. I'l go use a little sledgehammer therapy tomorrow morning before I go over there so I don't have any energy left to do something stupid.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
cr80renob
Captain

Wow! Reading this makes me thankfull that I went with the aftermarket Python remote start... Had it for two years and no problem! I love all the expandable features that the Python (DEI) offers!

As stated before by Foiled... Check out the Lemon Law...

Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Zack1978
Professional

I know the new lifetime warr is just powertrain, however I wonder if they will try to screw with you if you have an aftermarket rem start?

Zack

Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 AM
Pirata
Champion

ORIGINAL: Zack1978

I know the new lifetime warr is just powertrain, however I wonder if they will try to screw with you if you have an aftermarket rem start?

Zack
Doubtful.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 AM
moodie
Professional

I was going to get the Mopar remote start before winter hit but maybe I'll think twice now. I've read in other posts that some people had trouble with other brands of remotes and that the Mopar was the safe bet? In Canada the price for the Mopar is $575 installed ... Ouch. I can get a equal forover $200 less. Am I safe to go with a different brand remote?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Hemiriden
Professional

ORIGINAL: moodie

I was going to get the Mopar remote start before winter hit but maybe I'll think twice now. I've read in other posts that some people had trouble with other brands of remotes and that the Mopar was the safe bet? In Canada the price for the Mopar is $575 installed ... Ouch. I can get a equal forover $200 less. Am I safe to go with a different brand remote?
I'd say yes... i have a few friend's with Rams and they all have aftermerket systems. Just get a quality brand.... Clifford, Viper, Python... Pretty much anything by the directed company (link)

You should have no problems with them...

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Woes