3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How deep is too deep in water?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:50 PM
mopar74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How deep is too deep in water?

I am heading out on a kayaking vacation and have found out that I will need to perform some water crossings. Does anyone know what would be a safe water depth for a stock 1500, 4x4, 1500 QC?

The water would be tidal pools and sandy beaches not streams so I wouldn't have to worry about hydraulics forcing the water up into the engine compartment unless i was driving too fast. I have seen a lot of , cough cough - subaroo's do it and get stuck.

I used to have a Jeep and went through whatever I wanted. Got stuck a couple of times but do not want to on vacation with the Mrs. and a newish truck. Nor hold up the rest of the group.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:54 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: How deep is too deep in water?

In my truck I have been through waste deep water with no problem.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell, i use to drive through about 2 1/2 foot of water in our 02 ram we had and never had any problems

Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what is the real safe height, but I have ran my 4x2 megacab stock through about 16 inches of water driving pretty slow as not to get water up in the engine compartment.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 AM
prerunner
Captain

I think as long as u stay below the air filter and intake, u should be ok!!!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

If you have any doubt, have your strap already onthe hitch or front recovery point and someone can yank you out. no worries there. Will there be others there?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 AM
LoFlyer
Professional

Make sure you take Plan B with you if going seriously off road. If going single vehicle you definitely need to get yourself a winch, if going with multiple trucks then I rec about 40ft of heavy duty tow straps between you.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

My rule of thumb has always been never to go through water that was so deep that it got to my fan, or deeper then my starter. "SPLASHING" water is one thing, but when you submerge your truck in water deep enough to get to the fan, your starter is under water, and fills with water. It also means that your serpentine belt is running in water and the fan will push a lot of water on the engine, near the air intake, until it stops (fan clutch) due to drag.

If you drive SLOWLY though water up to midwheel,you should be fine, as both your axles have vents that run higher then that, and that should be just at or below bumper level....

Just use common sense..... ENjoy your vacation.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

if the exhaust submerges, throttle up. the pressure will keep the exhaust from comin out.

before crosssing, walk it if ya can. look from the shore. plot a safe lookin course. if ys hit and drop the front in a deep hole, youre f'd if noone else has a winch to yank ya out.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Hemiriden
Professional

The ONLY part of the engine that needs to be above water is the air intake. The engine is mostly waterproof to protect against splashing from rain and such. Look at the H1 Hummerit has a snorkel that extends above the cab.... it can literally completely submerge its self as long as the snorkel is above water... the only worry you would have is if the cab is NOT water tight and it floods past the underside of the dash.... then your computer will short out..... Those are your 2 biggest limiting factors....

Quick Reply: How deep is too deep in water?