3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

richmond gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 PM
BIGMC69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default richmond gears

any one out there with any problems with richmond gears. i am replacing my genu-whine gears they are just to damn noisy.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:00 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: richmond gears

Hey Big! Whatcha gonna due withthat Genuine Gear set?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't have the same installer do it. I have Genuine Gears and have never made a sound in the 8,000 miles I've had them in. I still say it's all about the install, I got a buddy who got Motives (now you know how good a reputation they have) and they howl like hell on acceleration. He bought them online and had a local repair shop put them in. He's taken it back twice, the first time he was told "all aftermarket gears whine when their new" so he takes it back at 750 miles to have fluid changed and complain again about the noise. They tell him he doesn't need it changed till 15000 miles (origina break in fluid) and tell him that they never have good luck with motives cause they are cheap gears.

Side Note: Not only do these bozos think you don't have to change the break in lube, but they also never told him he had to break them in.

I don't think anybody really makes a bad set of gears, they just have to be installed perfectly.

BTW - These aren't the same gears you didn't break in and smoked that are making noise, are they?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM
BIGMC69
Amateur

yep your right. actually the gears look good and the pattern on them is perfect from what we can see.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Its almost always about the install. I installed my front gears once they blew the first time I pushed it hard. I took it to a pro. shop to do it and no problems since. Both were richmond gears. Not to bad. I also have a 82 Trans Am over 350 horsepower at the wheels and it has Richmond gears or I should say the yukon gears. same thing. Its always about the install. Do it right the first time! and not like me.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 PM
marv02
Captain

Before you remove the old gear set check you pattren and back lash setting see if they where they need to be If it is just a whinning noise It could just be a bad Pinnon bearing or you preload on you pinnon could be wrong .check you preload tourqte on you'r drive yoke nut with the ring gear out see if you have the right amount of peload on you pinnon bearing. is you'r side play in you carrior tight or is it floating around in there.

If you redo the pinnon preload you will need a new crush callor and seal take a good look at the pinnon bearing and bearinmg race for dicoloring and pitting I just would change them out.

If the rear end was cracking or poping grinding you had a problem not saying whinning is not but you mite be able to save it.

Check if you carrior is discolored if so it mite need to be changed out ( It mite of gotten to HOT it can cause crackes you can't see with you naked eyes) If the oil is black mite as well change out all the bearing and seals out save you some headachs down the road.

Richmans are a hard metal gear they are a good gear but know to be abit noisy the 4.56 and higher are know to be more noisy do to the pitch on the teeth. I had a set in my old 1981 Power Wagon I was turnning 36-15-15 tires.

I been told Genuine gears are alright gears BUT you must Let them break in like any other NEW gear set any gear set WILL go bad if they are not installed right and you do the right break in on them drive them for 30 minute easy let them cool down drive them for 30 minutes little harder let them cool down do this 3 or 4 times then you be ok don't tow or haul anything heavy for at least 500 mile then change the fuid then have at it smoke those meats off, ( If the rear end cover gets a lirttle hot at first couple time you drive it it normal a little hot it should turn to normal temperture after the first couple times you drive as you break it in).

My next set of gears will be Yukons.

It's all in the set up I done rear end my self in my power wagon the front DANA 44 it came out good my last truck I tryed to do them did not turn out right they were noisy and they got hot, even the shop I took the truck to to have new gear set put in it took them at least 10 time to get it right this they lost money and lot parts & labor time getting my truck right, was one of the best rear ends shops where I live.

It was there nightmare truck .

Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a set of Precision Gear 4.10's in mine and no noises what-so-ever...course i also had the guy that checks some of the rear axles at JTE (Jeep Truck Engineering) help me do it lol...but yeah like the other guys have said, it's all about the install and if they person doing it did a good job or not....i'd take it back and make em redo it...unless of course you did it yourself

Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
chefred112
All Star

...yea my set of Genuines whine as well.. i know its the installer an not the gears themselves...I went with them becuz of the lifetime warranty (had them changed once)...I think the next time i change gears I'll go with a more reputable installer/shop, mine was done at a small one man shop...

Quick Reply: richmond gears