3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LSD or Open Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:28 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSD or Open Diff?

When I bought my Ram I could swear it was the LSD but now I can't find mywindowsticker. How can I determine LSD or open? Is there a tag on the Diff? Is it coded? Or is it printed on a tag somewhere?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Hemiriden
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LSD or Open Diff?

options to find out if you have LSD...

A. Power break and see if one wheel spins or two...

B. jack it up and spin the rear wheels.... if they spin opposite direction it is open... if they don't spin it is LSD (or spin same direction if you have it in neutral)

C. Look in glove box for sticker and it will tell you what axel you have

D. Take VIN to dealer and they can tell you what the truck had from the factory...

E. Pull it apart and look at it.... might be good if you got it used because if it is an LSD and the prevous owner didn't change the rear diff oil.... IT IS PROBABILY WAY PAST TIME TO DO SO!

EDIT:

Option F..... Get stuck.... your in AL so you should have plenty of loose sand around......keep one wheel on hard ground... let the other in soft mud or sand.... and put in Drive... if truck go...than LSD... if wheel spin in sand or mud... NOT LSD... lol...

Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional

Thanks Hemiridden. I'll try the glove then stick the tire in the dirt. Although I dont think jacking it up and spinning the tire will work. There was a post a couple of days ago that said the LSD's were worm gear type which are torque sensing. What do you think? Heres the link: https://dodgeforum.com/m_779966/tm.htm his truck is a cummins though.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

depends on the LSD you haveI guess...I have mine on a lift almost weekly (helps to have one in your driveway) to check things out and what not. I KNOWI have LSD and it works that way with mine..I have the 3.92 gears and if i leave the truck in parkI can't spin either wheel.... if it was open you could spin them and they would spin opposite directions... but that is just mine.. I'm not sure about the 02's or other diffs... mine is stock though.. only upgrade to my diff is royal purple diff oil....

Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

I pulled up a posting i had from an earlier post... this is from HansonHVAC:

"there should be a tag on the axel also. It should say your gear ratio, and if you have the lsd is will be stamped right after the ratio... "

I looked on mine and couldn't find it.... but it may be on yours.... worth checking out atleast

Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional

Thanks Hemiridden, All very good info I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

HAWKDRIVER - email sent...

Old 09-07-2007, 02:33 AM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional

Well I checked the glove and all it said was AXLE REAR-CORPORATE 9 & AXLE RATIO-3.55. Thought I had the LSD. The paper tag is wearing off the axle housing. So I guess tomorrow I will try it on the dirt. Its a shame I just washed it.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 AM
ozzy55
Rookie

Hey, before you get your truck dirty just Email Crysler Assistance and request a build sheet on your truck, It will tell you everything that came on your truck from the factory, gears and all. Takes about 24 hours for Crysler to respond, but well worth the wait.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional

Ozzy,
Just send a general email to them? Is there a website with a form? Whats the e-mail? When I google chrysler assistance all I get is Roadside Assistance.

Quick Reply: LSD or Open Diff?