3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Step by Step Superchips (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 12:44 PM
Rabones22
|
Rookie
Default Step by Step Superchips (need help)

Going to need some help here. I got my superchips flashpaq tuner. Updated it I think with the update I needed from the website. I played around with my truck at the 87 Octane settings and changed it.

With all the installs in my truck, I was averaging 11-12 MPG in town, 17-18 MPG out of town.
Yet with the Superchips mod, 12-14 MPG in town, STILL 17-18 MPG out of town.

Can someone with the superchips flashpaq tuner help me with their mods?
-What youchanged their REV limiter to?

- all the rest of the modifications & update from the internet
- and what you got for MPG?

Last question: Does the superchips flashpaq actually do anything for shift firmness? And can you change shift points? because I havent been able to do that.

Old 09-08-2007 | 12:52 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Step by Step Superchips (need help)

Are you seriously expecting better than 18mpg in your truck? I mean it is a truck, not a honda accord. I left my shift points the same. There is no need to change them unless you have a pretty modded engine.

Old 09-08-2007 | 01:02 PM
Rabones22
|
Rookie

Expecting higher than 18? Well yeah actually. Maybe my MPG reader was off a little but I actually clocked it around 55MPH running with the mods that I had at it gave me 21-22MPG's only 17-18 when I was going the speedlimit of the highway which is around 65-70MPH.

I have a somewhat basic modified truck - I just was wondering to adjust my shiftpoints if I could.

seems like you left them the same but I didnt see them on my flashpaq? did i get the wrong update?

Old 09-10-2007 | 03:47 PM
workingspy
Professional

HansonHVAC's right, your driving a damn heavy truck with a huge Hemi engine you should be happy your even getting 18mpg. Thats what I am getting now and my truck has alot of mods and really the only thing that helped with gas was Synth Oil and the Superchip. With the chip I climbed about 2 mpg all around. One other thing when you start to mod your truck you have to realize you will start to drive it alot harder (more power more fun) at that point the MDS wont kick in and you will lose gas milage. So I would look into what you have and what you want before you get to upset or go to crasy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/59482/73FACD916C6F4BAD92E367A32214F2B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-10-2007 | 11:54 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Its a heavy truck (around 5200 lbs for a QC) with the displacement of a small block pulling it around. Be thankful it isn't more like 10-12.

Old 09-12-2007 | 09:25 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Me thinks that if you leave your Rev Limiter at stock then the Shift points won't show up. Based on my 2006 Hemi andthe 3815

After some tinkering I ended up with mine set at:

Performance Tune to 91 octane (Using Chevron Supreme)

Rev Limiter 5900
1st - 2nd 5850
2nd - 3rd 5800

Speed Limiter to 140 MPH

Not only does the Performance Tune give me betterperformance, I get better gas milage in this mode.

So, if 87 (regular gas) is 2.80a gallon and 91 to 93 (hi octane) is 3.00 and your tank is 27 gallons thats only a differance of $5.40 a tank full (from dead empty) That equates out to around 2 gallons of gas.

Just remember not to switch to Performance tune running 87 gas in the tank. Unless you use a high quality octane boost additive to compensate for it.

Old 09-14-2007 | 11:15 AM
Rabones22
|
Rookie

Pappy_FB thanks. Everyone thanks.

I'm not trying to try to make my Ram run like a sedan or expect it to get better MPG like one. But the thing i'm really having trouble with is getting the exact right tweeking to do to receive the best performance. Pappy_FB thanks for the info though that helps.

But the question I also have is, did the shift firmness really change at all for you guys? On the website it says that the option is already calibrated into the programmer and does it automatically but I know that Chevy's have the option of being able to change the shift firmness on their own. Im just wondering if anyone noticed a change there?

Possibly I might just have to drive it out more.

Old 09-14-2007 | 11:45 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Rabones,

Undernormal driving conditions, I really can't tell much of a difference in shift firmness.

At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) yeah I can tell it is much firmer.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2007 | 03:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Pappy_FB

Rabones,

Undernormal driving conditions, I really can't tell much of a difference in shift firmness.

At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) yeah I can tell it is much firmer.

Hope this helps.
You've had that thing to WOT?

Old 09-18-2007 | 02:49 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Hey Pappy have you messed with the 87 tune any? When I open mine up right at about 50-55mph the engine revs really high before it shifts (almost sounds like it shifts its self into nuetral)and it is really anoying. I haven't touched the rev limiter, the only thing I changed was the speed limiter.

Quick Reply: Step by Step Superchips (need help)