3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 RAM Installed K&N - 30 min later - Running bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 AM
njramguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 RAM Installed K&N - 30 min later - Running bad ?

Thanks for the tips.

It was just the filter, not the kit. It was right out of the box, and it comes pre-oiled. I pulled it out right after the light came one, and am running with the stock filter so something happened.

I have a dealer down the street, and its under warranty - do they charge to check and reset the engine light? I would rather take it there if its gonna be something more then just a reset because now its running rough.

All clamps are tight, and nothing came lose when I changed the filters. Im carefull of that for sure. Goes to show that messing with factroy parts is never a good idea. I was going to get aftermarkt tail lights, but I did that on a SUV, and they both leaked and collected water.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: njramguy

Thanks for the tips.

It was just the filter, not the kit. It was right out of the box, and it comes pre-oiled. I pulled it out right after the light came one, and am running with the stock filter so something happened.

I have a dealer down the street, and its under warranty - do they charge to check and reset the engine light? I would rather take it there if its gonna be something more then just a reset because now its running rough.

All clamps are tight, and nothing came lose when I changed the filters. Im carefull of that for sure. Goes to show that messing with factroy parts is never a good idea. I was going to get aftermarkt tail lights, but I did that on a SUV, and they both leaked and collected water.
Being it is under warranty I would also just take it in.

However if you want to get the code and try to figure it out on your own

https://dodgeforum.com/m_691136/tm.htm

To clear the code without a programmer just pull the battery cable for a minute.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
njramguy

holly crap, they should put that code check in the manual! Worked perfect on my 05. I gots me a bum EGR P0406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High

1) This should be covered under bumper to bumper warranty right?
2) Would this have anything to do with a K&N Air Filter being installed?
3) If this is the only problem, would a typical dodge dealer carry this sensor in stock?

Thanks again for all the help guys. Glad to be owning my first RAM and part of this board!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

I used to have K&N air filters, for many years,on all of my cars. I always questioned the benefits of it because I could never really feel any difference in performance. What I did notice was the migration of oily dirt that was between the filter and carburetor/throttle body. I did not like seeing that.Last October I yankedALL of the K&Ns from my vehicles and tossed them in the trash.I came across some comparisons between a Wix air filter and a K&N and was shocked at what I saw. Not really, because of already mentioned oily dirt migration. I saw that althougha K&N does flow just a little more air than a Wix paper filter the K&N also lets a lot more dirt passed the filter. So it was bye-bye K&N for me!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
njramguy

I had a guy here cross check the code on a universal hand held reader, and it was the same #. But he erased it. Does it save somewhere so when the dealer checks it, they can still see what the code was?

*** Also saw 1 post on here where the EGR is not covered under warrany? Hope thats not true! Any mechanics that work at dealers know?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
M15
Veteran

ORIGINAL: prerunner

So what is the sensor between the filter and the TB????? all the other vehicles i've had called it an MAF.
I think your talking about the air temp sensor. Its that little sensor between the filter and the tb and itmonitors the air inlet temp and makes adjustments to make your truck run properly.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: prerunner

So what is the sensor between the filter and the TB????? all the other vehicles i've had called it an MAF.

IAT also know as Intake Air Temp Sensor

Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a guy here cross check the code on a universal hand held reader, and it was the same #. But he erased it. Does it save somewhere so when the dealer checks it, they can still see what the code was?

*** Also saw 1 post on here where the EGR is not covered under warrany? Hope thats not true! Any mechanics that work at dealers know?
If the problem still exists the code will re-appear within so many miles, do not recall how many though.

A EGR is not to big a deal even if not covered under warranty. I think it is on the front left side of the intake, I would have to double check that though.

If the EGR is the reason for the rough running truck the air filter had 0 to do with it.

If you are interested in other DIY stuff there is a sticky message at the top of this forum.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips.

not all aftermarket parts are bad....i've never had a problem with aftermarket parts on any of my trucks...depends on the quality you go with....if you buy a low quality product, then thats what your gonna get...

the dealer will charge you the 1 hr diagnostic fee to check the light and reset it....like 94rt said, just unhook the battery to reset the light

Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 AM
njramguy

It was the EGR valve. It was 100% covered under warranty. I have some of the 3/36, then it was certified, then I have the 8/100 so between the 3. The dealer got the same code I did with the on off off the ign. 3 times...thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** So from what was wrong, do you guys think that the K&N had nothing to do with this? Just ironic that it happened at the same time?

Quick Reply: 2005 RAM Installed K&N - 30 min later - Running bad ?