3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi 5.7 Warm Up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hemi 5.7 Warm Up?

I hit my remote starter about 5 - 10 minutes before I am going to leavethe house and when I am ready, so is my truck. Before I had a remote starter in my other vehicles I would go out about 5 - 10 minutes before I would leave and start my vehicle.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Charlie in TX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start and go. I drive about 0.5 miles in a subdivition with children waiting on the bus. I don't get over 20. Then the next 5 miles is 45mph speed limit. So no real load until everything is up and warm.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
panelrodder

I can't quote him because I don't remember the exact words but Gale Banks was asked by Jay Leno, on Leno's Garage website video, this same question and Gale said that with todays technology and engine refinement there is no need to more than a minute. Long enought to get it started and wipe the snow off, get back in, and buckle up. He did echo what other have said here in that you shouldn't abuse it but he did note that the last part was just his personal feeling and he had no data to back it up with.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 AM
a4twenty
Professional

just out of curiosity and only a little off topic . for those that wait for the gage to leave the post, do you do this in the summer / spring / fall as well??

in warmer conditions i wait for the RPM to drop to 700 or less then go and never even look at the temp gage.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:17 AM
DrBaker

I read an article in a magazine where a user wrote in to ask about letting a vehicle warm up before winter driving. The magazine suggested letting the vehicle idle for 30 seconds if it were only cool outside. If it is cold outside you should let it idle for 60 seconds and then drive very lightly for the first few miles.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: casper3380

when the engine is still cold, and your driving, try and keep the rpms below 3k, helps with wear. Oil doesnt start lubricating until 150 degrees. As for idle, let it drip to a steady idle, say 30-45 secs. this will also cut wear on the trans due to it engaging at a lower rpm.
Don't know that I can agree with that. Oil is always a lubricant. In cold weather, flow is the problem. Colder oil is thicker and doesn't flow as well.

If oil didn't lubricate until 150 degrees, there would be a lot of failed engines out there.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
07 Mega Cab

I start my engine and go. Letting a vehicle warm-up is no longer necessary with today's computer controlled cars. Cars of old were required to warm up to allow the carburators to come up to temp to properly fuel, allow the engine oil pump to prime, the transmission pump to prime, and the early oxygen sensors to reach operating temperature. That is handled all within the first 3 seconds of startup of modern cars. If I do let it sit idling, it's only to allow the navigation system to come online

ORIGINAL: casper3380

Oil doesnt start lubricating until 150 degrees
What? [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Please go slap the person that told you that. Then go slap them again for making you believe it.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
07 Mega Cab

ORIGINAL: Max Power

Don't know that I can agree with that. Oil is always a lubricant. In cold weather, flow is the problem. Colder oil is thicker and doesn't flow as well.

If oil didn't lubricate until 150 degrees, there would be a lot of failed engines out there.
Oh thank Christ...I can stop pounding my head on the keyboard...Thank you VERY much Max...

P.S. : That's the purpose of multi-viscosity oils Casper3380

Old 10-07-2007, 10:10 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

ok to be honest I rank mine and let it run for about 2 min or so and check the guage for 2 reasons.

the first is the oil and #2 it is a truck why do i want to be cold in it. i think that is why a lot of people let them idle too.

Quick Reply: Hemi 5.7 Warm Up?