3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

c-clip club

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: c-clip club

Yeah me too, 1 month until warranty expires, a step by stem would be great!!

Special tools needed?
Which Oil to Use?
Time it will take to do it?
Is it hard to do?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Hemiroid
Professional

is this fixed for 2008 1500?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 PM
BigHorned
Amateur

To have an actual recall it involves nhtsa and no car manufacture wants that. think of how many Pinto's it took blowing up before they issued a recall. Now TSB's are a little different. You the customer have to be knowledgable on the open TSB's out there and so do your dealers. If there is a TSB open on the c-clip issue(for example purposes only). First thing the dealer has to PROVE to the manufacture is that the vehicle in their shop has that problem. They have to submit for approval. Not a hard process since it involvesVIN's only. Then if there is any other problems involved ie. bearings messed up orraces scored, if it's not in the TSB then they cannot replace it "Free"under that TSB. When I used to work ina dealership (cadillac) where thecustomers were willing to buy the name but in all essence "Cheapskates" we would not have replaced the bearings or races. NOW the only way we would have found the problem is if there was a mechanical problem noticed and we had to open the pumpkin up and findthe c-clip problem. To those of you that have found the problem and got it fixed...good on you. Others, keep up on the TSB's and the info on this site and keep the service managers busy. Technicians get their authorizations from theservice manager. We know what is F'd uponvehicles...can't do anything without his/her approval.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:53 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Has this issue been fixed from the factory yet? I have an 07 w/ a 9.25", LSD and 3.55s. Is the unit still ****ty even with the fix, or would an aftermarket upgrade be beneficial? I just drive normal on the street for the most part, with the occasional rainy day sideways fun.

By fixed from the factory I mean do they come that way now, or do they still have the flawed design and the updated one only availabel when it blows.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
haxzal

where can I get a c clip and what do I need to put it in

Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The clips are used to install the limited slip clutches and help hold them in place. Does your truck have the "anti-spin" option?

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:46 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a lot of the problem is that people don't write to the NHTSA to complain about their diff failures. Therefore, they don't know about the problem.
I did write to them and even though I live overseas in the UK, I received a reply from them saying it was logged, but at this point in time (early 04 when I reported the issue) there wasn't enough data....read here complaints......to warrant a full investigation.
I encourage ALL therefore, who have had the dreaded retaining clip failure weather or not repaired under warranty and especially on their own dime, to file a complaint with the NHTSA.
Google their web site and it's very easy to do on-line.
That way, things might....just might happen as the numbers of complaints increase and the NHTSA become aware.
Even do this retrospectively if you've had this failure in the past and repaired.
The numbers if we all did this would jump and red flag this possibly to them???
Al.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 AM
70blackfish
Amateur

I have a 2004 ram, happen to me twice. once under warranty. the fix for me was a dana 60 out of a set-10......it bolted right in. the drive shaft needed to be shortened but other than that it was great...and it has 4.56 factory with limited slip...good for towing my tow hauler...

Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 70blackfish
I have a 2004 ram, happen to me twice. once under warranty. the fix for me was a dana 60 out of a set-10......it bolted right in. the drive shaft needed to be shortened but other than that it was great...and it has 4.56 factory with limited slip...good for towing my tow hauler...

Yeah, a 60 would surely take care of any c-clip issues hahahah.

Do you mean an SRT-10? And I take it that unit has 5 lug hubs?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 AM
SwampDonkey440
Amateur

My 02 4x4 1500 makes a grinding noise when I accelerate while turning from a stop. Almost sounds like the pinion skipping teeth... No whining though, and havent checked fluid yet. One of my many procrastinations as a 3rd gen owner for only a year..

Quick Reply: c-clip club