3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

c-clip club

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 PM
dcar_roll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c-clip club

I guess I'm the newest member of the failed clutch pac club! I did the differential service on my 02 quad 4x4 this weekend and as you can see the famous Dodge LSD has gone to shi*. I have the extended warranty ( at least I did one thing right) that I purchased when I got the truck and from what I can see it should only cost me a$50.00 deductable. Of course the service mang. denies this is a common problem with the stock LSD's"Imagine That"!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/56787/B066F5AD173343269A6703ACEB2F18A7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56787/4789372D33DD49FF9999E9C455324312.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56787/2989507B311F470B964D8F0CE7BB4BB2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
WesTexHemi
Default RE: c-clip club

Glad you have the warranty, let us know how it turns out, if you can. Good luck, John.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

I just had mine done as well. Amazing.......you can't swing a dead cat in a circle and not hit a member here who HASN'T had it repaired, yet there's "No problems" with the rear......

If there's "No problems" then why has DC come out with a "New, updated" clip to replace the ones that broke?

Give ya a hint......
.Cause there's a problem................[:'(]

Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OldMoparMan

I just had mine done as well. Amazing.......you can't swing a dead cat in a circle and not hit a member here who HASN'T had it repaired, yet there's "No problems" with the rear......

If there's "No problems" then why has DC come out with a "New, updated" clip to replace the ones that broke?

Give ya a hint......
.Cause there's a problem................[:'(]
I propose a name change......The Deception Chrysler Corporation sounds better than Daimler...LOL

Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, I got to bear witness at my local stealership. While at the parts counter (ordering a mopar header gasket - heard the one that came with my Pacesetter LT's was ****, so I decided not to take a chance) I got to hear the service mgr. tell some poor guy with an '03 that he must have been abusing his truck, because he's never seen or heard of the stock rear end w/LSD fail.
So I chose to embarass him...

Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
dcar_roll

I talked to my local dealer today. The truck goes in Thurs. He acted alittle surprised that I new exactly what the parts were I showed him. He did say his mech. that does the differential work has had several of these apart, DUH !!! Thanks to the info from this site and others I think he knew he could'nt pull one over on me. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71 I got to hear the service mgr. tell some poor guy with an '03 that he must have been abusing his truck, because he's never seen or heard of the stock rear end w/LSD fail.
So I chose to embarass him...
Good for you.......... that's insane that they'd blatantly LIE to people.No wonder people don't trust garages or mechanics.

My dealership told me that they've done more rear repairs then they'd care to count.......[:@]

Plain and simple: DC refuses to make it a recall, and if it completely self destructs, then some poor schmuck ends up paying to replace and ENTIRE rear axle out of his/her pocket if their warranty expired,for simply driving their vehicle....

Again....if there wasn't a problem, there'd be no "New and improved" clip to replace the ones that break.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dcar_roll

I talked to my local dealer today. The truck goes in Thurs. He acted alittle surprised that I new exactly what the parts were I showed him. He did say his mech. that does the differential work has had several of these apart, DUH !!! Thanks to the info from this site and others I think he knew he could'nt pull one over on me. Thanks everyone!!!
FYI.......If the broken clips rotate enough, they contact the inside of the housing and start cutting into it. In that case, the fluid should have been silvery, or full of "sparkelies" when you drained it. If it wasn't you'll be fine...............

If it was, insist on all the rear bearings being replaced, as they'll fail prematurely........

Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Hessmonster
Rookie

Does anyone know if the 2500's are haveing this same problem?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 AM
steveh326

Can anyone explain what the symptoms of a broken C-clip are?

I searched, found several hits on the problem, but didn't see anything onexactly what to look out for (aside from pulling the diff cover).

Justbought a used 2004 ram with 3.92 rear, love the truck so far.

Quick Reply: c-clip club