3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lucas Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:15 PM
Tailbuster
|
Rookie
Default Lucas Oil

Has anyone had good/bad luck with using Lucas Oil when they do their rear end service?

Is the limited slip additive still required if you use Lucas?

anything would be helpful/

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Default RE: Lucas Oil

4x4 shop that did my gears uses it and strongly recommends it. I can't use a synthetic as I have an Auburn LSD. Lucas is commonly regarded as among the best coventional lubricants.
They also used 4oz. of the additive.

Old 09-25-2007 | 08:02 AM
Tailbuster
|
Rookie

how much fluid will it hold plus the 4 oz. additive?

Old 09-25-2007 | 11:15 AM
Tailbuster
|
Rookie

sorry for the bump.....

Old 09-26-2007 | 06:27 AM
HankL
Champion

Over the years I have seen a least 3 Lucas advertisements that were little demonstration stands set up in auto parts stores to convince customers that Lucas oil was better somehow...put each demonstration was deceptive like trying to convince you that oil that clinged to gears was somehow better at providing lubrication.

For this reason I would avoid using Lucas products.
I don't trust them because of how they try to fool 'average joe' customers.

I don't think you can go very far wrong by either using the official Chrysler products, Mobil 1 products, or the lube products that Mercedes/BMW specifies for their trans and diffs.

My favorite specialty lube company is this smaller, lesser known one, out of Fort Worth TX:

http://www.le-inc.com/

My experience with LE in mining is that they have saved companies I have worked for thousands of $ in the toughest lube challenges. Their salesmen were always extremely well trainned and could explain the science in simple terms that intelligent but poorly educated miners could understand.

A really good LE saleman was the first to explain to me that it was not the viscosity on the label of an oil that mattered like 90W, but the 'real world' viscosity of the lube oil when it got to whatever temperature a piece of machinery was operating at in the field....and that you had to look this 'operating viscosity' up in a table. LE was one of the few companies that would give you a table for each oil or grease. By doing this you 'hit a double' by extending the life of the bearing and lowering the friction at the same time.

Old 09-26-2007 | 09:42 AM
Chaz Fish

After catching so much crap when I opened my mouth and gave my opinion last month, I figuredI'd stay out of anything and keep my opinions to myself (see last months TOTM).

But:
Is it just me, butevery time I read a post by this HankL dude, it appears he lives in the "opposite" universe. Eerything he types isthe oppositefrom the facts. I've read dozensof independant reviews on Lucas oils and NEVER have read a bad one. A quick search for independant oil reviews shows a bunch, and I have not found a bad one yet.
Here's a couple examples.

"I think you may be interested to read about an oil system failure that occurred in my blown methanol powered Anglia, & due to your superb products resulted in no engine damage whatsoever.

The incident occurred at Shakespeare County’s 2006 Open Sports Nationals. Under full power approaching the end of a 7.9 second - 169mph pass, I saw the oil light come on, glanced down at the pressure gauge needle resting on the end stop, & shutdown the engine.
In the pits we quickly traced the problem to a sheared oil pump drive, expecting the worse inspected the oil filter screen, nothing unusual! Removed the sump, checked the crank, rod & main bearings: PERFECT!
An uprated oil pump shaft was the only part required for the remainder of the season, & not only did the engine survive, but went on to retain the championship & reset the Outlaw Anglia ET & Speed records.
I have since has the opportunity to freshen-up the engine for the 2007 season & have found NO abnormal wear on any components. I’m sure the H/D Stabilizer saved the engine & many £££’s
The oil we use is Lucas 50 Plus (11 quarts) + Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer (½ quart)"

-- 2005-2006 Outlaw Anglia Champions

"I hadthe power steering box overhauld 18 months ago because the seals collapsed and the pitman shaft was worn.But the rack and pinnionmust have been worn as the steering was not precise. I put some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in at Ripon and after about5 miles on the wayhome the Steering became more precise without any wonder at all. Fantastic!
I certainly will recommend Lucas Oil Products to anyone who will listen to me."

"As an unsponsored professional racer I have used lots of lubrication products in the past, but now will only use Lucas Oil. The oil and oil additives are without question the best around and have helped me win countless races. If you want the ultimate in performance and reliability use Lucas"

HankL get a clue.

Old 09-26-2007 | 10:47 AM
Duso02
Captain

Chaz Fish---Not disagreeing with youbut have you read the Amsoil report on the top of our forums? According to them Lucas is one of the worst you could buy. Hmmmm.....what a dog-eat-dog world in the lubrication business. I'm with Hammer, take your advice from the pro's. They see more diffs in monththen any of us will see in a lifetime.

Old 09-26-2007 | 09:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Chaz boy, That was a well researched, thorough post. And I must agree, I have never heard anything bad about Lucas products. Personally, if I'm gonna trust a place to do my gears and LSD, the way I am about my truck, then I'm gonna trust what they tell me as far as the lubricant for it.
If I didn't have the Auburn unit, I'd undoubtedly use Amsoil or Royal Purple in the diff., however, since that is not an option, I'll be using Lucas unless I see evidence that I shouldn't, for as long as I own the truck.

BTW - you could have made your point without the negative comment directed toward another poster. THAT is what got you in trouble last month...

Old 09-27-2007 | 07:24 AM
helopilot
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Duso02

Chaz Fish---Not disagreeing with youbut have you read the Amsoil report on the top of our forums? According to them Lucas is one of the worst you could buy. Hmmmm.....what a dog-eat-dog world in the lubrication business. I'm with Hammer, take your advice from the pro's. They see more diffs in monththen any of us will see in a lifetime.
Isn't that kind of like Chevy doing a research report on trucks and publishing it...I wonder who the say would be the best?

Old 09-28-2007 | 06:29 AM
Chaz Fish

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

BTW - you could have made your point without the negative comment directed toward another poster. THAT is what got you in trouble last month...
I apologize, but the guy just struck me as a know it all, and I hate know it alls.

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil