3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

180 t stat

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 180 t stat

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

i hate dropping bolts!! you can never find i then you find it in the hardest possible spot to get it out of.... pappy do you and hammer live close together or suttin?
Yeah Hammer and Ilive on the same floor in the State Mental Hospital, he'stwo rooms down from me on the same side of the hall.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is worth noting
that the original poster in that 300 forum
says that he will post the dyno sheet
'later'
when he has more time.

Now, months and months later,
the dyno sheet is still not posted.

At another forum they have a page devoted to dyno testing mods
but a 180 thermostat on a 5.7 Hemi has not yet been tested to my knowledge:

http://tinyurl.com/3byadr

With my own ears I have heard Dan Knott of the Chrysler SRT group say that they haven't seen any measureable performance gain on 6.1V8s and V10 from low temperature thermostats....and you notice that low temperature thermostats are left out of SRT kits:

http://www.mopar.com/street/tech.htm

I have read posts where Neon SRT owners have claimed gains in quartermile performance from lower thermostats...but I notice that those same owners are talking about different runs on different days and they are not savy enough to also add how the temperature and density-altitude changed between runs.

If you think that lower temperature thermostats mess up EPA pollution gases....you have it backwards. Lower temperature thermostats don't change HC or CO pollution enough to measure, and they actually LOWER NOx gas pollution in a manner similar to how ethanol in gasoline does. This does not mean that a dead-cold engine does not emit more HC and CO pollution during the first 90 seconds of warm-up...it does because of very cold metal inside the cylinder.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Added the 180 Jet, on Friday. Super easy to do. 15 minutes, with air ratchet w/swivel extention. I didn't even try to tangle with that bottom bolt. I just reomved the hose, first. I thought I was gonna see a 195 degree, stock stat. It turned out to be a 203 degree. Other posts stated 195. Significant change @ the temp gauge. Not seeing anything different other than that...but it's early and I haven't driven too much this weekend.

Quick Reply: 180 t stat