3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

180 t stat

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 180 t stat

My friend has a hemi and wants to do some upgrades. Does this really make more power and where can he get one that is good?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 180 t stat

JD,
I'm not sure how much power it makes, but it keeps the engine cooler, which can't be a bad thing. Also, the cooler running temp makes the PCM richen the mixture (I'm told because the PCM always thinks the truck is still warming up). This is VERY desireable when other mods lean out the mixture. It keeps it in spec.
I put it in before I got my LT Headers because I understand a lot of folks with the long tubes in combination with Superchips set for "Performance" causes too lean a state, often (but not always) producing lean codes to generate. The richening effect of the stat, combined with the advanced timing of the Superchips tune, and the headers (which work to lean the mixture as well) keeps it in balance.
After I added the headers, Marty at KRC Performance hooked up to the PCM to look and the mixture stayed just a hair (like 2%) of stock from idle right up through WOT, not even remotely close to generating a lean code.
I don't know if the mod is beneficial to a fully stock truck (although I don't think it can hurt anything) but I can only see positives in adding one if your mods include a Superchips and/or any mods that help it breath such as CIA, aftermarket exhaust that flows better than stock and especially headers that all work to Lean your mixture.

A lot of guys are purchasing cheaper 180* T-Stats from auto parts store (as little as $8) and modifying it (trimming, etc.) to fit. I purchased the Jet 180* T-Stat made specifically for the Hemi. It's stainless and has a lifetime warranty for $29.95. I couldn't see skimping $20 on a $30,000+ truck.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
helopilot
Veteran
Old 10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I have the Jet 180 as well....perfect fit and it keeps my truck very cool in addition to the e-fan i have...i would deffinitly recommend one even if you dont have any of the other mods, a cool running engine is always better then a hot one

Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

JD,
I'm not sure how much power it makes, but it keeps the engine cooler, which can't be a bad thing. Also, the cooler running temp makes the PCM richen the mixture (I'm told because the PCM always thinks the truck is still warming up). This is VERY desireable when other mods lean out the mixture. It keeps it in spec.
I put it in before I got my LT Headers because I understand a lot of folks with the long tubes in combination with Superchips set for "Performance" causes too lean a state, often (but not always) producing lean codes to generate. The richening effect of the stat, combined with the advanced timing of the Superchips tune, and the headers (which work to lean the mixture as well) keeps it in balance.
After I added the headers, Marty at KRC Performance hooked up to the PCM to look and the mixture stayed just a hair (like 2%) of stock from idle right up through WOT, not even remotely close to generating a lean code.
I don't know if the mod is beneficial to a fully stock truck (although I don't think it can hurt anything) but I can only see positives in adding one if your mods include a Superchips and/or any mods that help it breath such as CIA, aftermarket exhaust that flows better than stock and especially headers that all work to Lean your mixture.

A lot of guys are purchasing cheaper 180* T-Stats from auto parts store (as little as $8) and modifying it (trimming, etc.) to fit. I purchased the Jet 180* T-Stat made specifically for the Hemi. It's stainless and has a lifetime warranty for $29.95. I couldn't see skimping $20 on a $30,000+ truck.

Just my opinion.
Maybe I should have installed one, before I added headers and exhaust. I don't know if I'm running lean, but I haven't generated a code. Can you only get a 180* stat online or can I go to like Pep Boys and get one...let's say a JET stat? I ordered my programmer 3 weeks ago, now. The shop said 2-3 working DAYS...WTF?!

Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brother Rob

Maybe I should have installed one, before I added headers and exhaust. I don't know if I'm running lean, but I haven't generated a code. Can you only get a 180* stat online or can I go to like Pep Boys and get one...let's say a JET stat? I ordered my programmer 3 weeks ago, now. The shop said 2-3 working DAYS...WTF?!
The only Jet's I've seen have been online. The ones at local stores are for other vehicles and need to be modified in one way or another. Most have no problem after modifying them, I just prefererred to have one made for my vehicle, with a warranty.
What programmer did you settle on? If you are expecting it ANY day, you must have given up on the Diablo, since the latest from Mike over on their forum states he doesn't expect them to start shipping the DR Truck unitsforatleastanother month or so.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

I have a stant, perfect fit, no problems!!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Thanks guys I will have him order it. he has a flashpaq and that is all. he is getting catback (no headers) and a cai soon. From there the bug will bite and who knows what will be next.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

Thanks guys I will have him order it. he has a flashpaq and that is all. he is getting catback (no headers) and a cai soon. From there the bug will bite and who knows what will be next.
i got bit pretty hard! lol

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
cpukramer
Captain

Does anyone know if this mod will work on the 4.7L ... what I mean is that is it the same t-stat or if it isnt, does anyone know which one I should get?

Quick Reply: 180 t stat