3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N 77 Polished for plastic style CAI! ANY TAKERS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:01 PM
biglg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N 77 Polished for plastic style CAI! ANY TAKERS?

I just bought the 77 serious polished K&N for the 03-07 hemi rams. I havent even received it yet.
However, I was told after purchasing it that it will be louder than a plastic CAI would be. Well, the wife hates any noise so I thought I better go for the plastic style. So before I have even received it, I would trade someone for the their plastic style K&N, Volant, etc. Possibly the AEM also, i didnt think it was to loud on my 05. Let me know if anyone is interested in a swap deal. Of course we would wait until i recieve it and i could take pics or whatever! I am only interested if yours is in good condition and doesnt have a ton of miles on the filter!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: K&N 77 Polished for plastic style CAI! ANY TAKERS?

y not return it?? or resell it and buy a TrueFlow!!!! they're queit and great!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
biglg
Professional

I really dont want to stay with the stock look! If i were to do that I would keep my K&N drop in! I like the aftermarket look!

However, I have had 5 3rd gen rams, all with CAI's and i didnt think they were to loud. However someone said this polished kit is louder! I dont know, I might just try it out and see. However, if someone wants to trade before I experiment i would do it!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:10 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

I might be interested. Was thinking of buying a CAI. PM me, I have a couple questions to ask offline.

SOLD!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, it was me, I have the 77 and you hear the EGR valve resonate through that steel tube pretty well. It's so well known that there is a company that makes a baffle specifically designed for those with the K&N 77 series CIA's. Used to have a link for it, it's only $20, and was thinking of getting it, but it cuts flow a little and I decided, "I just paid $280 for a CAI for the flow, why pay $20 more to RESTRICT the flow! So I didn't get it.
It's not terrible, but you can hear it, it's a flutter sound, like I've said, it sounds like a manifold leak.
I've not heard the plastic tube version, but have read posts by those who have had both, and everyone says the black plastic tube version is quiet.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
nastyram
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dam if the plastic one is quiet than the medal one must be really loud,i got the plastic one an when i start my truck all you hear is it suckin air,love it when people ask me what kind of turbo i'm running

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not the suckin' air sound that's bad, it's the sound of the EGR Valve echoing through the steel tube. With the plastic tube you gotta really listen just to hear it. I have noticed with mine, though, when I added the headers it doesn't sound nearly as bad, or the added exhaust sound from the headers are drowning out the EGR sound.

Quick Reply: K&N 77 Polished for plastic style CAI! ANY TAKERS?