3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
ray97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes question

Can I have the rotors turned on the front without replacing the pads or is it better to do it all and get it over with. I feel that my rotors are warped because I get a light steering wheel shake when I apply the brakes but the truck still stops with no problem other than the shake and the squeal. The truck has about 35K on it right now, and the original pads and rotors. Any opinions would be great.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Tailbuster
Rookie
Default RE: Brakes question

I feel your pain. I have an 07 with just about 20K on it and I am getting the shake in the steering wheel when I apply the brakes now too. Personally I think this should be a warranty item. I dont care who you work for, brakes should not be an issue under 36K. If Dodge would stop using crappy rotors we wouldnt be having this problem.

But back to your question, I wouldnt bother turning the rotors without replacing the pads. Your going to have everything torn apart already, might as well get them done, they are not that expensive. And just a side note, just because you get the rotors turned doesnt mean you will remove the warp.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
SLCHemi
Professional

Allot of places can turn the rotors while still on the vehicle (I've watched my local Dodge dealership do this). However, I've always been told and stuck with replacing the pads at the same time. They typically aren't that expensive and if you've already got the wheel off changing the pads is pretty easy. That noted, you may want to have your tires balanced as that can contribute to a shaky front end sometimes....(though if it only happens when you apply the brakes it'd guess it isn't balance)....

You could go super fancy and get yourself some nice powerslot rotors and new pads. I've run powerslots on two different vehicles and loved them and am getting ready to order a set for my Ram...

Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
ray97
Veteran

If I replace the front rotors can I leave the rear for another date. Everyone says that the rear lasts almosttwice as long?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ray97

If I replace the front rotors can I leave the rear for another date. Everyone says that the rear lasts almosttwice as long?
Sure. rear is only 25% of the braking anyway.

I never turn warped rotors. They just keep warping anyway, even faster after turning cuz there is less metal. Jusat replace em.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
chefred112
All Star

...the rears seem to last forever...I have 104k mile on mine and change my fronts twice and haven't done my rears yet... pads are cheap, changem th same time you turn the rotors...

Old 10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

i need rotors too. turning is a bad idea with warped rotors. once the metal is fatigued it will do it again and again and, like was said, they are thinner after cutting, so they will just reach warp temp faster. as far as pads i always replace pads when i do rotors unless the pads havehalf or more of their lifeleft in them and are not badly glazed. iwas leaning towards powerslots, but i came across these and am wondering what you guys think. they claim a lifetime warranty against warping or their slotted and drilled rotors. that's what got my attention.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/ind...&ad=google

Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
chefred112
All Star

not bad at 112/rotor....looks good...

Old 10-10-2007, 01:00 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

DeWalt378G, I kinda wonder about those rotors, the "dimpled" as opposed to drilled...I guess it works, but wonder if the dimples get cloged up with gunk ? They run at about the same price as Powerslots at least for my truck...

Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: SLCHemi

DeWalt378G, I kinda wonder about those rotors, the "dimpled" as opposed to drilled...I guess it works, but wonder if the dimples get cloged up with gunk ? They run at about the same price as Powerslots at least for my truck...
I kinda wonder about all that different profile dimple and slot stuff too.........[sm=confused06.gif]
My friend says most of it is just eye candy and for our street driven trucks, just not applicable.

One manufacturer uses dimples with profiles and says "it's a new break through in brake technology"on them and another not.

Which one would you buy............[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Just a point
Al

Quick Reply: Brakes question