3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007 | 12:46 PM
abarmby
|
Champion
Default Rotors.

What do you guys think of this????
I pulled the wheel off to examine the new pads I installed, as they were still very noisey and still breaking in.
Can you imagine my surprise when I found that the inboard part of the rotor had dissapeared and I was using the surface of the venting/standoff's, as a breaking surface.[sm=jawdrop.gif]

I had no warning of this except slight and I mean slight vibration under breaking and noisey brakes. No more so than when breaking in a new set of pads which I was.

Does anyone think that someone in the past has turned these rotors down too much?
I don't know what else would cause such a cataclysmic failure of the rotor in this way.

I have no further damage to my truck other than this stuffed rotor.
I know Igot away with absolute murder on this.
I believe god was watching over my family and I for sure.[sm=grinangel.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

Al

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/70AC6FB65F1A4F88A483E63621DEF25E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/82F0696BDEFA49839C6831D7F309D73D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-10-2007 | 12:59 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Default RE: Rotors.

Pads at some point (previous owner?) were installed thewrong way. I know on our Rams it is possible to put the pads on with the outside pointed towards the inside (towards the rotors).

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:03 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

Niiiiiiice..........I saw that once. However, it was due to failure to replace brakes in a "timely" manner.

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:05 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

That is also possible, but that would usually have damage on both sides unless the caliper was bad. Either way that person was really grinding those brakes, had to sound horrible when grinding that rotor down!

As a joke you should have took that to the parts store and asked if they could turn it.

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:40 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

MY FIRST QUESTION IS DID YOU HAVE THE ROTORS TURNED WHEN YOU INSTALLED THE NEW PADS? IF SO THEN WHO EVER YOU HAD TURN THEM TOOK TOO MUCH OFF. HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE ON THE NEW PADS THAT WERE INSTALLED? YOU COULD HAVE A CALLIPER SLIDE ISSUE. MEANING WHEN YOU PRESS ON THE BRAKES THE CALLIPER ENGAGES AND WHEN YOU LET OFF THE PEDAL ONLY THE OUTBOARD PAD WAS RELEASING AND THE INBOARD WAS NOT DUE TO THE CALLIPER SLIDES BINDING OR NOT BEING WELL LUBRICATED. ANOTHER OPTION IS THAT THERE IS A RESTRICTION IN THE BRAKE LINE ON THAT SIDE CAUSING UNEQUAL PRESSURE IN THE BRAKE SYSTEM AND WITH THE RESTRICTION IT COULD IN TURN INCREASE THE PRESSURE ON THAT SIDE OR NOT NECCESSARILY INCREASE THE PRESSURE BUT IT WAS NOT LETTING THE PRESSURE OFF OF THE CALLIPER PISTON THERE FORE HOLDING THE INBOARD PAD AGAINST THE ROTOR.

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:49 PM
eltupac
All Star

BUT IF THE PRESSURE IS COMING FROM THE INSIDE OUT. HOW IS THAT THE INSIDE OF THE DISK BE THAT DAMAGED. I DONT GET IT. CAN YOU HEAR ME??

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:59 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

FIRST OF ALL YOU DONT HAVE TO BE AN A$$ CLOWN AN POST THAT BIG I CAN READ I CANT HEAR YOU BECAUSE YOU HAD TO TYPE IT IN THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!!!! BUT IF THE RESTRICTION IN THE LINE IS CAUSING THE PISTON TO STAY PRESSURIZED IT COULD BLEED DOW ENOUGH TO REALEASE THE OUTBOARD PAD BUT STILL HAVE ENOUGH PRESSURE TO HOLD THE INBOARD PAD AGAINST THE ROTOR. THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS IT TAKES ALOT TO WEAR THE ROTOR DOWN LIKE THAT AND IT PROBABLY WAS TO THIN WHEN HE REPLACED THE PADS. IT HAS PROBABLY HAD BRAKES PUT ON BEFORE AND THE INBOARD PART OF THE ROTOR STARTED CRACKING AND BRAKING OFF WITH HEATING UP AND COOLING DOWN NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU ARE BRAKING ON THE VENTS OF THE ROTOR.

Old 10-10-2007 | 02:03 PM
eltupac
All Star

Havent used that many forums in your lifetime uh Blue?
Just F'ing with you, since you find the need to use caps to write, let me tell you, CAPS means you are yelling. Try to lay off the caps, it makes it hard for people like me [sm=smiley23.gif]to read.

Old 10-10-2007 | 02:06 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

I AM AT WORK AND THE COMPUTERS ARE SETUP TO USE CAPS ONLY I HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY AND IT DOESN'T TURN OFF. MY BAD. AT LEAST THEY HAVENT BLOCKED THIS SITE YET OR I WOULD PROBABLY GO INSANE ON SLOW DAYS LIKE TODAY NOT A CAR IN THE SHOP TO WORK ON!!!

Old 10-10-2007 | 02:17 PM
eltupac
All Star

What are you using? mainframe workstations? well, dont be upset if someone else gives you a hard time for that. But I understand, what can you do . . . choke the administrator? that's a thought.

Quick Reply: Rotors.