3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low Temp T-Stat

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Low Temp T-Stat

ORIGINAL: MexiRam

Will the low temp T-stat be an issue in the winter??
If you are speaking of a Salinas winter, no.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: chefred112

I have a stant 180 (35168)...if you buy a different t-stat, make sure it has th by-pass blocker on it (like the stock one)...but this really pertains to trucks in colder climates, out here in Cali guys with the short tstat don't throw cels cuz our weather doesn't get cold enough. i don't think the Jet one has a bypass blocker...I'm thinkin of movin to the 195 cuz I'm runnin a tad rich....
I'm surprised your running rich with your mods. Naturally a cooler T-Stat will cause you to run rich, but I found that my Superchips set for performance (advanced timing) coupled with my Long Tube Headers causes a lean state, and the addition of the 180* T-Stat brought it back within specs.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Jet 180 thatI installed inmy Hemi is aBy Pass T-Stats. As you can see in the pics.

The little dog bone or wobbler rod is missing, but after a lot of research, I found that is used for draining or flushing the system. i.e. a bleeder valve or sorts.
I figured if I need to drain the system, I'd just remove the T-Stat.

If you decide to go with a Stant use one that doesn't require trimming or modification. Like the one HansonHVAC has.

My concerns would be if you didn't get all the metalshavings off afteryou modded a T-Stat and contaminated your cooling system. That is one of the reasons I didn't drill a hole in my Jet.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:04 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you guys know if it's running to rich or lean? Does your Superchips show you?

Quick Reply: Low Temp T-Stat