3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alarm install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Mulva
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm install questions

I just bought a Clifford 50.5x which has alarm/remote start/pager and I also got the DEI 530T window module. I'm pretty good when it comes to wiring electronics until now. I didn't know there was so much involved when it came to putting an alarm in. I'm having difficulty figuring out how and where to put relays, resistor and diodes. I don't know where to buy this stuff nor do I know where exatly to put them. I would much rather put this in myself so I know is not just thrown in and a half *** job. I also don't really feel like paying $200+ to get it installed. This will begoing into a 2003 Ram standard cab 5.7 auto.

Any help would be great and pics would be even better. Thanks

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Default RE: Alarm install questions

I cant offer any advice sorry, all i can say is that too me it is worth it to find a reputable shop and pay for it. I did one myself, never again. Took my electrician friend to straighten everyghing out. sorry

best of luck though, i really hope someone can help you

Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

did it come with any instructions... there are many placed to get the electrical parts like radioshack or msc maybe grainger....

Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen, I repair electronic systems on aircraft for the last20 years and I don't install my own. It's just not worth it. You screw something up and it's on you, not the shop. Go ahead and price a smoked FCM or ECM. Just find a very experienced shop in your area, maybe one the dodge dealer uses, that way they are familiar with your truck. The biggest advantage is the warranty, my local shop gives a lifetime warranty. Plus the alarm companies give better warranties if professionally installed. It's up to you but that's my .02.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM
jjhwick119

i work at car toys here in the dfw, and trust me, you want to get it done at a shop. 3rd gen rams, excluding 06-07 aren't that hard because you dont have use an immobilizer bypass, unless u have the grey key with the chip in it, but it's still not simple

buuut, i'll do all i can to help you. here's something will definately get you moving along....

::::EDIT::::: no matter how i post it, it doesn't come out right, so heres what u can do.

go to www.directechs.com password to type into that box on the right is alpine. go to direct wire, enter ur car info and do remote start on the last one cuz it has everything u need in there, then click submit, and theres your complete wiring diagram for the truck with any notes they felt neccesary to add in there

Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Mulva

jjhwick119 thank for your help. I agree with everyone here, but I'd like to take a look at my options. If I don't feel comfortable with it then I'll go with the install shop I have ligned up. Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
eltupac
All Star

I installed mine and I would install it again. I did my wife's 07 camry too. If you have the wiring diagram for the car and instructions for the alarm, and some electrical experience, you should be fine. Get a friend that is more inclined than you. From my experience, shops are a-holes, they will overcharge you if its not their alarm and when something happens they will tell you that, "its not our equipment, no warranty". Good luck in your decision.

PS- good Seinfeld name there . . .

Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 PM
aefwolf

Go to the shop!!! Save yourself the hassle

Quick Reply: Alarm install questions