3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?

V8's have 40% more moving parts then I6's they are also much easier to work on. not only that but look at the power numbers

another thing to look at when it comes to the diesel side of the world. . .there are MANY guys that are pushing 700-1000+ hp on the stock crank. try that with the d-max and you will find it 2" beneath the asphalt your driving on.

if you are dead set on a diesel, try and find yourself a 5.9L. the 6.7L is a great engine and has alot of potential, however Dodge is still running into alot of teeting problems with the emissions the EPA is mandating on these trucks. the 5.9L does not have those emissions equipment.

once again it is up to you. . .the hemi is a good engine, however, lifted running running 37's pulling 8K you will be lucky to see double digits with a tail wind.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The question is, are you going to just use it for transporation, towing or off roading and if off roading what exactly?

You do not need a CTD for a little off road or a driver.

CTD is great for towing or serious off roading.

I like everything about the Chevy except how they sit.

So, since you are going to tow I would go for the CTD.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 PM
austin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thank you guys for all the responces. Yall are right, F*ck Chevy for now! It is a very nice truck, but not for me.

What exactly is wrong with the 6.7L? I do no want the 5.9 as it is only a 4 speed. I am sure I will get better milage and towing with the 6speed for sure! plus that transmission is reallyyyy smooth!

I will get a diesel(CTD, of course!) I think I am gunna get the sport version because I LOVE the painted grill and bumper painted like that! Also the 07s and 08s have a center consol!(sp?) and I am in love with that also. I hate the quad cabs with a center seat, and the drink holder is way down at the floor.

And to answer the questions about mudding. I am not going into any competions or tractor pulls.(well... don't qoute me on that lol) but it will see some pretty good mud. Nothing that is going to tear up the paint though. For one it won't be a black truck, it will probably be silver so it won't show up with every imperfection. Also my trucks always have a lot of wax on them. My truck right now always has about 4-5coats of wax on it, and it never looks dirty. I keep really good care of my toys trust me. So the mud it will see will be very sticky and I will get stuck every once in a while, but as soon as I get home and wash it by the end you wont even be able to tell it went off the payment. So I would think that the paint should be ok, I hope. If it makes it any better I will only do some real mudding about once a month, off roading at the beach every weekend though.

So what do yall think about an 8in lift? Will that be too big for a daily driver, will it make the parts wear out too fast? or should I stick with a 6in?\\

Thank you all!
-Austin

Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want a good off roader set it up like the sheriff trucks. the ones that go in the desert and patrol. They have about a 4 in lift with 35's. any bigger than that you will get the harsh ride and the major tire humm. as for a daily driver a lifted truck with tires is not good when you go to school. trust me i can barely back out of a spot at mine and i got a hemi 4x4 qb. O and how are you getting this truck, i hope daddy's not buying it for you.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM
austin
Veteran

Well I might go with a 6in lift. I will have to look a 2500 in person with a 6 and an 8in lift first to decide. Yes I know it is hard to back out of spots. But to be honest I never pull front nose in anymore in my truck. I always back up just for the reason that its really hard to back up in a Dodge truck. So the view won't be too much of a problem when I get used to it.

No my dad is not paying for my truck. My dad paid $10000 grand for the truck I have now, and I had to save up to pay for the rest. I do as much work as I can to help pay. When I sell my 1500 it will be worth about $17000, I have $10000 in my savings right now im going to use. So that is already $27000 paid off out of the $35000 for a new truck! I might be selling my dirtbike now also, valued at $5500( I have alrady had 5 surgerys from motocross, and actually just had to get my meniscus reparied AGAIN today so I'm laying in bed). If i did that then thats only $3500 I need to pay off the truck. I'm not spoiled or anything, I just know how to manage money.

Thanks all!
Austin

Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

Well, my two cents would be to definitely go with the diesel. Ecspecially since you can afford it. I would never buy a new truck but now with the lifetime warranty I might change my mind.

I had an older Ford diesel before this truck and trust me you will love the gas mileage.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 PM
mlrtme315

Austin,

If you are doing ALL those things with your truck, go with the CTD, you wont be disappointed. Even though I can NOT speak from personal experience (since I never owned a Diesel) I DO own a HEMI and while a HEMI can easily run 37's, lifts, ect...ect. My truck barely gets 14's (depending on how heavy my foot is that week) without the tires or lift. I have the minor mods too, exhaust, air intakes, ect so I dont think you would be doing any better. Once you start towing, I have NEVER had issues towing, even with my buddy's boat but, gas mileage HURTS and lets face it, an I6 Diesel is MADE to tow (600+ ftlbs?).

You do what you want with your truck, if you have the money and want to go offroading, GO FOR IT. Its your choice. Its YOUR truck. Be careful though, you can/will break something with the added strain especially if you mod it and add MORE power (some parts DONT need any more Torque on them). As for your plans on a lift, this is my PERSONAL opinion but, I would personally buy a WELL engineered truck specific suspension (NOT a lift kit) from a company like KORE (jsut a personal favorite). Granted you only get an added 2-3" up front, and 1 or so in back, but with a few mods, you can fit your 37's comfortably with some AMAZING axel articulation. This will also allow the STOCK engineering (steering, driveline, ect) to stay at the proper angles which will cause MUCH less parts failure. Or you could break ball joints every weekend, just my opinion. When it comes to actual MUDDING, like throwing around MUD ect, you might not be happy with these kits, since the reduced clearance can cause issues. I know I loved my Old K5 that had over 10" of lift and 44's for playin in the mud. Of course, that truck cost like 2grand NOT well over $40K like the trucks your looking at, and it had the TREE damage and "racing stripes" to show some battle damage.

These guys give some EXCELLENT advice on this forum (why I keep coming back) but everyone has their own opinions, look at what they are driving when they give you some advice. I bet a ton of these guys (like myself) would LOVE to have a CTD rather than a Hemi, but lets face facts, some of us just CANT afford it. Thats awesome if you can afford the truck you want, go for it. Its good your getting all your information inline before hand to make an informed decision. Hope my rambling actually made some sense, I kinda forgot what I was writing about, haha. Later

Mark

Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

[quote]ORIGINAL: sa1765
at 16, what the f do you do for your money?
finish school and try to get some stinky as often as possible...worry about the truck later.
oh ****...i think i'm my dad.

I agree w/sa; about saving the money. I know looking back if I had that kindamoney at 16 I would have invested it especially if I already had a truck like you do austin. Invest it and let the money grow and get a better one in 2015 or so after college. the truck will depreciate in value (all vehicles do) and invest in yourself.

and yes i sound like my[sm=vader.gif]too...........................

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
austin
Veteran

Mark,

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I will go with a CTD for sure then. Just so yall know I am very good at manging money, and will nothave a problem still. I only pulling out about a 1/4 to 1/2 the money I have. So I am not blowing it all on this truck.

I have been looking at nice used trucks, similier to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUAD-...QQcmdZViewItem

It does have the 5.9 in it also. Which I don't like but you guys do, and you all know a lot more about it then I do!

Keep in mind, yes I have the money, but from another standpoint it is part of my job. Right now I help my dad build lake houses on the weekends. Lets face it, a diesel can pull $10000 pounds a lot better then his Escalade can... Yet he bought it instead of a diesel anyway! So I do have to pull a lot of weight. Plus I know I will keep this truck for at least 8-10 years, or 250,000 miles, so I know if I get a diesel it will last a lot longer.

The reason I am going to sell my truck is because it is only a 3.7 liter. I have hauled 6000 pounds with it every once in a while... The only reason I have that truck though was to get through a couple years of driving till I can afford a better truck. My truck is still worth $17,780 according to KBB. I know once I hit the 50000 mark though the price will drop till $14000 easy. So I might as well gain what I can!!!

Ok now, diesel guys:
What exactly is it against the 6.7L right now? I have done a search but can't find a super solid answer. Why is everyone choosing a 5.9L 4speed over a 6.7 liter 6 speed?? I know a lot about gas engines, but I'm sure this is the same as a diesel here. The 6.7 liter makes more power, andmore torque. The 6speed makes i easier towing, and better gas milage. What is better about the 5.9 liter??

THANK YOU VERYY MUCH!!!
-Austin

Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 PM
mlrtme315

Since once again I dont own a diesel and I am not sure I am sticking my foot in my mouth I will say one thing. Look at how long the 5.9 has been around, its a tried and true engine, its been pulling loads and hauling *** for years. The 6.7 probably has the eventual engineering to be a better, GREAT engine BUT. This is its 2nd year (true/false) available, it usually takes the engineers and all the dorks at DC (or any manufacturer) a year or 2 to get things right and tuned. Plus, they all come undertuned anyways, side tracking a bit. The 6.7 the EPA (? I believe) put tighter restrictions on the "emissions" for it, so they had to develop a brand new emissions system bringing the Diesels much closer to the GAS restrictions.
The 5.9 just has a STRONG faithful following, and its been proved its a DAMN good engine. The 6.7 still has some work to do before we ALL jump on board. Anytime a MAJOR part (tranny, engine, ect) is replaced with a new part it takes some getting used to, these parts arent exactly LEGO's jsut because it CAN and WILL fit dosent mean it will. Why do you think we spend $1000's on upgrades unlocking more power and such? I know this didnt give you numbers or specifics but this is what I have observed and such.

Mark

Quick Reply: CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?