3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 PM
austin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?

Well next year i will be buying a new truck. Went out Monday and test drove a new 08 ram 2500 with the CTD 6.7L. The dealership lifted it 4in and had 35s on it. I didn't drive it long enough to actually get it to warm up, but the power was alright. I know since it was lifted its not gunna be a street runner. (btw I love Dodge and want a CTD really bad!)

Now I just got back from driving a 08 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4. I have to say that thing is fast! those Allison trannys are pretty nice, and the 6.6 liter is a good engine. That thing is reallyyy nice though! at a $50000 tag, and me almost being 16... its a little much. Plus I am going to put a 6-8in lift on it with 37s(no it wont be a show truck, it will see mud!). That being in place I'm not sure if I need a really nice truck like a Chevy unless I found a used one!

1. What do yall think? Chevys new truck, or the Cummins? What are the pros and cons that you all know of??

2. Also, what do you think about the HEMI with a 8in lift and 37s? can it push well? Keep in mind i am planning on keeping this truck for at least 10 years(with the diesel anyway... i'm not sure about a gas) and I do pull a lot of trailers. With my job and my hobbies I will be pulling a 17-25ft trailer about every other weekend. So i'm not sure if a HEMI can handle that, what do yall think?

give me as much input as you can please! Just so everyone knows i love Dodge so I will probably stick with it!!! I just like to look at all of my options

Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Mayfairisafunnymfer
Rookie
Default RE: CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?

Buy the chevy!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard good thing about the CTD......

Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

if you got the money try and find a 5.9 cummins

Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
sa1765
Veteran

at 16, what the f do you do for your money?
finish school and try to get some stinky as often as possible...worry about the truck later.
oh ****...i think i'm my dad.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Pro's and cons. Duramax not the greatest engine. Cummins superb. duramax a little quicker stock. Face it the truck will nto stay stock. Cummins has more options. Now for the kicker. go look at the Chevy Hd and crawl under the front. look at that cute IFS suspension set up. C'mon ifs on a "So Called" Heavy duty. Dodge for me. Now chevy has nicer interior and a smoother ride. however if you want it to ride like a car. Go Buy A Car.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

just so you know, that is not a true allison tranny. dodge owns them, so that put different internals. A good tranny. But NO allison.

Duramax isnt the greatest motor, and i have personal experience. Okay stock. Tend to go to **** when you start modding, even simple ones like chips.

My opinon would be a 5.9 CTD, then a 6.7CTD. Also, as already pointed out. IFS on and HD? Come on.

I am in the same boat, but i will be geting a 3500CTD. I just really think you cant beat that motor.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

amen jimmy amen!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 AM
austin
Veteran

Very good point. The Chevy does drive like a car and thats exactly what the sales guy said. The IFS for one is kind of nice, I agree for heavy duty Chevy needs a solid front.It does ride nice but that thing is wayyyy to expencive, so I probably won't get a chevy untill I'm 40 y/oand wont go mudding much lol.

I have been saving up for a truck ever since I was about 11. Right now I have about $20K saved up. Most of which is in a savings account for later on in life to help me set up my business. I am probably am gunna pull about $10K out of that, and will work the rest off to get the truck.
My truck right now is still worth $17500 according to KBB, and next year it should be worth at least $16.

So 10k+16k= $26k... I can get $10k in one year for sure, i'm going to finance probably anyway. So money isn't the biggest concern, the truck is.

Anyway. I have been reading about some problems with the 6.7L, is that probably going to be worked out when the 08s come???

Also... can a hemi actually handle 37s, while towing about 8k about 3 times a month?? I think a diesel is a much better way to go!

In put please!

Thanks, -Austin

Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 AM
austin
Veteran

Also... for all you CTD guys. Why is the Cummins a I6, while everything else is a V8? Whats the pros of having a I6 instead of a v8?

Quick Reply: CTD Ram or Chevy or HEMI for me?