3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel lock nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Cordoba man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel lock nuts.

I have a little problem with my lock nut key. Someone (not me.... really!) used an impact on my lock nuts. So now it likes to slip out of the nut all the time. Makes for a tough tire change.
What's easier to do: just get another key from the dealer? Or to just get a new set of nuts and lock?
How do you get a key from the dealer? Do they just need your VIN # ??
Any help will be appreciated.
Dan.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM
toxdoc
Veteran
Default RE: Wheel lock nuts.

Purchase a set of the 'Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts' from Summit Racing and forget the stock junk from the dealer.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea prolly better off gettin some aftermarket ones... the stealership would prolly charge u the same amount for the key...

Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: toxdoc

Purchase a set of the 'Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts' from Summit Racing and forget the stock junk from the dealer.
+1

Old 10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 2 of my sets cracked I decided to throw the stock ones in the trash. I was lucky I didn't need to change a flat as the impact gun broke the key. Finally got the locknut removal kit, a more powerful impact and off it came! I never liked the stock sets as I too found they tended to slip off easily. Haven't replaced them yet but now that I am waiting for my new tires, I should start shopping around.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
manogmin
Professional

i am also having trouble, but in my case, the keys are f***** up, they are all rounded off at the ends and slip out of the locks. to get a new set, you have to have the key code. it should be with the paperwork for your truck, they cant do anyting with the vin# and if you cant get them off, they have to cut them off, i was quoted like 160 to get it done. thats not including a new set of locks.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

Ok, but this brings up my question..... I just dropped 2200 on wheels and tires, I want a set of keyed lugs. Any suggestions?

Oops, did asearch and looked a little closer, are all Gorrila's keyed for security or just the Gorilla II's? Also, what size lug do I need?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

You can either purchase a matched set of the Gorilla locking nuts (all 20) OR a set with 4 regular nuts and 1 locking nut per wheel; they will be keyed appropiately for each set you purchase. Check with the sales representatives @ Summit Racing for the proper stock number for your specific application.
summitracing.com

Old 10-27-2007, 01:24 AM
2005 DAYTONA
Professional

Anyone know the size studs on our trucks? I went to the summit site but dont know what part# will fit.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:07 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

In my personal opinion I think the lock nuts maybe keep the honest honest, but after having an issue with a set I had on another vehicle (stripped) I took it to a specialty tire / wheel shop and the owner showed me what the "smarter thiefs" have figured out. Basically, he took a socket that was just slightly smaller than the lock nut, pounded it on, and then turned the nut right off. He said the at least based on his experience as a former police officer and a custom wheel shop owner if the lock nuts are inset into the wheels they often find 4 sockets with lock nuts jammed in 'em at the "scene" where someones wheels walked off. He also said that if the bolt / nut sticks out just far enough sometimes they'll just try to hit it with a big hammer and snap the lug. Anyway, again I guess they keep the honest honest, but if the dang thiefs want 'em bad enough and have half a second of opportunity I don't think lock nuts stop them....so after years of hasseling with keyed locknuts I don't even bother anymore....not saying they don't serve some purpose or that anyone else shouldn't get 'em, just passing along what to me at the time was a bit of an eye opener...

Quick Reply: Wheel lock nuts.