3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 PM
sirgknight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Fog Lights

Last month I bought a 2002 1500 Quad Cab SLT with 4.7L, 75,000 miles, one owner. The only problem with the truckis the fog lights don't work. Didn't figure that was a real big deal. Upon further inspection I have a peculiar situation and need your help. First of all, the driver side lamp was completely burned out, I mean crumbled to pieces and the fixture got so hot when it blew that the glass globe has a tiny burned, scorched hole in the middle of the glass. The fixture itself was half full of water. I took the fixture completely off of the truck andremoved all of the brokenbulb pieces and cleaned it out as best I could. I put the fixture back on the truck and replaced the burned out bulb with a new one. Only problem is this: there is no switch for the fog lights and I still can't get the lights to work. According to my wiring diagram there are two fuses that are related to the fog lights: a small 15-amp fuse listed as "fog lights" and another larger relay fuse for fog lights. These both have been checked to be good fuses. The headlight switch is a standard switch and does not have the fog light switch incorporated as with some Dodge models. What do you suggest I try for troubleshooting? What else could be wrong or could I check? My owners manual is somewhat confusing. It states that the headlight switch contains a "pullout" function for the fog lights. But my headlight switch is a standard switch with no pullout function. Do these fog lights just automatically come on when the headlights are on and then go by a relay when the brights come?I am really stumped with why the lights won't come on. Thanks for any help with this.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Default RE: Help with Fog Lights

Just a thought on the pull out switch, on my 03 the fog lights are using the pull out but only work when i have my low beams on, and automatically turn off with the high beams or when the switch is turned all the way counter clock wise...

Old 10-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like someone added the lights but did not change out the headlight switch. The headlight switch should pull out to turn the fogs on...There should be a connector behind the left headlight that has a jumper wire going to the left fog then over to the right fog....

Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Is it possible the previous owner installed them and just wired them directly to the headlights?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Did he puta small toggle switch somewhere on or under the dash?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
sirgknight

Quite possible the original owner added as aftermarket. I'll check the wiring to see if there is a connector behind the headlight. Thanks. Still can't figure out why the lights don't come on, unless there is a problem with a connection. The driver's bulb was burned so badly it wouldn't surprise me to see wire damage somewhere else. As for another switch somewhere - I have looked in every nook and cranny for any kind of switch and there's none to be found anywhere. Had to be directly wired somewhere. I'll check that out more closely tomorrow.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:42 AM
buzzard217

could it have been that the bumper was replaced? or the light switch. I would get a dealer to run a VIP or a single vin inquiry on the vechile to see what it was orginaly equiped with. That way if it did have the fog lights orginally, maybe the switch went bad and the replaced it, all you will have to do is replace the switch. That would eliminate you having to run wires. It there was fuses for that circuit in the TIPM or fuse box, i would say that it is probably supposed to have fog lights.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:25 AM
pchemster

I don't know if you ever got this problem fixed or not since it was several months ago, but i thought i might throw my 2 cents in.

On my 06 2500 Larimie, although i the service techs still say you have to "pull-out" the headlight switch for the fog lights, you have to actually push my switch in.

Are you certain that the connector for the bad bulb wasn't destroyed as well as the bulb?

I would disconnect the harness and try to light both bulbs with a direct power source to eliminate them from the list of possibilities.

One thought crossed my mind, are you certain that the damage was from the bulb burning out or might a rock have caused the hole and the broken bulb. Not that this would explain why the new bulb does light but just curious.

Quick Reply: Help with Fog Lights