3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diagnostic Code P1491

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well once everything is fixed and changed, did you do a code erase, to see if it comes on again or not? Ive had issues like that where all it needed was a refresh on the codes, and things went back to normal.

GJ on finding old thread to btw.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 PM
cullyboy87
Rookie

this happened to me and i checked all fuses and relays. i did notice however that the fuse was hot to the touch and replaced it anyways. the same thing happened when i put in a new relay, so i disconnected the fan and the relay cooled down, so then i took my power probe and put it to the fan a low and behold the fan wasnt accepting the current therefore making the relay hot. new condesor fan assemmbly, 48.00 bucks shiped. took the old one apart and the motor has some burnt windings in it, so know i have extremely cold ac.thought that might help a lil

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
GixxerNate

The CEL came on yesterday morning. I scanned for the code, then did a quick Google search. That's where I found info about the fuse and relay. This morning I changed the fuse, swapped the relay, then I cleared the CEL. I started the truck and the light was out with the fan working. Went to lunch and the CEL came on as soon as I started the truck. Fan still works and the fuse isn't blown. This is why I'm confused, everything is working but p1491 code is thrown. I'll try clearing the code again and if that doesn't work I'll investigate the motor.

Thanks for the ideas guys, ill post back if I find anything else.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
GixxerNate

Update: I do believe as Got_Mitch stated, the truck needed a refresh period. The light went off by itself and has been off for 3 days so far.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Mark Komo

Yeah, my truck threw this code yesterday. Gonna replace the fuse and see whats up. I might add the fan was replaced 2x already. Once under warranty, once at a reduced price. I hate to think I gotta do it again. Will start with the fuse.

Anyone remember the on/off key pattern to get the code to show up in the digital mileage area?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Mark Komo

yeah, the fuse was toast. Put a new one in on Sat am, but Sat night engine light was off. Funny, the little temp gauge didnt change all that much. I guess in the winter time, it doesnt run at all.

Did pull my 21 foot starcraft on a hot july day, with full ac on, and she didnt miss a beat.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 AM
DontBlnkBadWolf
Default Extremely old thread

I know this is an extremely old thread, but I would like to keep this alive for others that are having this code thrown out to them.

So, I had my wife take my 02 Ram 1500 4.7 to get the oil change and have them check the A/C for me, since I work nights and sleep days. So, after I got up she told me that the compressor was bad, I thought that as well, but wasn't sure since some cold air was coming out of the vents. When going to work, the CEL was on and A/C was blowing nothing but hot air, by the time I was ready to go home, no CEL light. So I forgot about it. Tonight, I hooked up my scanner up, and the code was P1491 $10 Manufacturer Code. Is this the same code that others were getting?

I'll check the fuses and relays when I have another day off, which will be this coming Saturday.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Radiator fan relay circuit. (manufacturer specific code.)

Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM
DontBlnkBadWolf

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Radiator fan relay circuit. (manufacturer specific code.)
I would agree with you if my truck had an electric radiator fan. Mine is clutch driven.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by DontBlnkBadWolf
I would agree with you if my truck had an electric radiator fan. Mine is clutch driven.
Is there a second fan hidden inside the radiator shroud?

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Code P1491