3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Normal sound? *vid*

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:38 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal sound? *vid*

The "dealer"(actually some 19 yr old kid that works there on a road test)said this sound is the exhaust and it's normal[:@]but i don't believe it....what do you guys think? Out of gear the sound doesn't happen...I can rev it to redline and it sounds great so that's why I think it's not the exhaust or the engine(valves/lifters) at all. The sound mainly happens after first gear and when slowly accelerating...any advice would be great. Are the trannies known to make this noise? It's a 07hemi with 500 miles on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOy1cm5CcXsThe sound happens about 8 seconds into the vid...hopefully you can hear it over the wind noise.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 AM
MoparRob
Veteran
Default RE: Normal sound? *vid*

I dont drive a Hemi but I havedriven them afew times and that definatly doesn't sound normal to me.. Does it get faster when the rpms get higher? or ifyou shift into neutral while moving does it still make the sound?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 AM
buzzard217

Look under the truck and see if the exhaust is hitting some where. It may not touch until the engine is a full load. The exhaust will flex some under load. I have seen this a lot with mini vans. If it does it worse at low gear excel or in a hill climb I would say theres a good chance the exhaust is hiting something.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Well, that is not normal, or acceptible. but other than that i am of no help sorry.

As stated before, check exhaust, and headers.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does sound like an exhaust contact issue. Maybe a loose hanger? Tell the nineteen year old he needs to look for other work. Cop, maybe?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i couldnt hear it !!! o well if its a rattle like it says in the video i would imagine it being a messed up hanger or somthin....

Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Thanks for the replies guys...i'll check the exhaust right now. It doesn't seem to get faster with rpm's...if it does it's very slight. I'll also try the neutral thing....if it goes away does that mean it's the tranny?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

sounds like an exhaust contact issue to me as well....how fast are you going when it happened and how much throttle?

Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

In the video it started at 25ish at less then 1/4 throttle...if I let off or just hold enough throttle to maintain speed the sound goes away.

I looked at the exhaust and everything seems fine. I did move the nut retaining clip from the cat to exhaust manifold bolt away from the block...one was 1/16 in away from the block while the other three are resting against the flanges. But nope...the sound is still there[:@]I took it for a test drive and the tranny was holding first gear way too long...it never did that before even on cold mornings.

Oh and the truck is a 2wd single cab..

Old 11-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

It sounds a lot like my K&N CAI when I stomp on it however from the video is it appearant you were not stomping on it.

Quick Reply: Normal sound? *vid*