3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear differential fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
SteelHemi03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear differential fluid

I just changed my rear axle fluid on my 03 1500 non lsd .I added about 2 bottlesand alittle of a third of mobile 1.My question is I drove it around the block and came back to check the level and the fluid started to ooze out,did i add too much or do i have to let it set awhile to check?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
sddunn2
Professional
Default RE: rear differential fluid

where is it oozing from ?? you should fill it up to the check plug hole no more .

Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah usually always fill it to the point where it just starts to come out of the plug hole and you'll be good...my guess is thats prolly where it's oozing from but deffinitly repost and let us know where it's coming from

Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
SteelHemi03

its oozing from the check plug hole, after i pull it out to check, did i over fill it?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM
manogmin
Professional

maybe a little, but not really, what ever is in there will come out to the right level. as long as it is not leaking from around the flange youre mostly ok. make sure it doesnt keep leaking for more than a day or two, if so you might need to get a replacement plug but dont freak if there is a little bit of an oil trail under the plug. you should be fine.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 PM
reiderr
Professional

Oil, like most anything, expands when heated. Fill with cold oil to the bottom of the filler hole, then drive around a bit. The diff heats up, the oil heats up and expands. If you pull the filler plug, some oil will come out. This is perfectly okay. Technically, the service manual says to fill to 5/8" below the filler hole. No doubt this is to allow for thermal expansion. Most everyone fills to the bottom of the hole and plugs it up quickly until the next change. In years and years of doing diff oil changes, it's never been a problem.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: reiderr

Oil, like most anything, expands when heated. Fill with cold oil to the bottom of the filler hole, then drive around a bit. The diff heats up, the oil heats up and expands. If you pull the filler plug, some oil will come out. This is perfectly okay. Technically, the service manual says to fill to 5/8" below the filler hole. No doubt this is to allow for thermal expansion. Most everyone fills to the bottom of the hole and plugs it up quickly until the next change. In years and years of doing diff oil changes, it's never been a problem.
[sm=exactly.gif] i was just about to type something soo similar to that!!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 AM
LoFlyer
Professional

FSM calls for filling to 1/2 inch below the hole on level ground. Too much fluid can result in foaming. Most Ram guys I know aren't aware of this, fill to the hole, and never have problems. You're probably fine I just wanted to tell you what the service manual calls for.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 AM
SteelHemi03

ok thanks guys for all of your help

Quick Reply: rear differential fluid