3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lifted without a lift??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 05:08 PM
manogmin
|
Professional
Default lifted without a lift??

i have been looking into it and was wondering if i were to get a "leveling kit" that is adjustable to three inches and an add a leaf in the back, it would be higher right, well, how would that affect the front drive line?? like wear, and yes i know that it will put things a little out of line, and mess up geometry and such, but in real world application what am i looking at?

Old 11-28-2007 | 07:51 PM
TANKZ400
All Star
Default RE: lifted without a lift??

A leveling kit is not adjustable unless you have torsion bar's I dont know what year your truck is so i dont know if you have them or no and just adding a leaf in the back is only giong to make your ride stiffer not give you any lift you would have to get your spring's rearched just get a 4 inch lift. what are you trying to achieve

Old 11-28-2007 | 08:52 PM
sddunn2
Professional

do you need to do an alignment if you put on the leveling kit ??

Old 11-28-2007 | 08:58 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

Yes you need an alignment after raising the front.. Even if you only crank them and not install new keys. And I am pretty sure that you can get "helper springs" leafs that will raise your truck up. Or you could always buy the blocks...(that way your ride wont get stiffer).

Old 11-28-2007 | 09:04 PM
manogmin
|
Professional

add a leaf will raise the rear of the truck average 2" on most, and i have an 03 that is pictured and my sig states that it is a 4x4.

Old 11-28-2007 | 11:59 PM
sa1765
Veteran

you can get the keys to raise the front up 2.5", but you can turn those down if you want and not get that much lift (so the local truck shop tells me) and you can also put blocks/shims under the rear springs to give you some rear lift. if you go max lift, i'd get new shocks and an alignment. it's kinda like wearing a rubber...there's always the chance that it could break, but don't let that stop you....just enjoy

Old 11-29-2007 | 12:05 AM
MoparRob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: sa1765

you can get the keys to raise the front up 2.5", but you can turn those down if you want and not get that much lift (so the local truck shop tells me) and you can also put blocks/shims under the rear springs to give you some rear lift. if you go max lift, i'd get new shocks and an alignment. it's kinda like wearing a rubber...there's always the chance that it could break, but don't let that stop you....just enjoy

HAHAHAHHAHAH AWESOME!!!

Old 11-29-2007 | 08:52 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

ORIGINAL: manogmin

add a leaf will raise the rear of the truck average 2" on most, and i have an 03 that is pictured and my sig states that it is a 4x4.
03 is what i was looking for
and that's not in yourSIG!
andwould some body tell me how a helper spring lift's your truck two inches, that's thefirsti've ever heard of thatand i've lifted alot of trucks

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:02 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: TANKZ400

ORIGINAL: manogmin

03 is what i was looking for
and that's not in yourSIG!
andwould some body tell me how a helper spring lift's your truck two inches, that's thefirsti've ever heard of thatand i've lifted alot of trucks
Just a few examples...
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...003426/c-10101

there are two different type of helper springs ones that mount to the top of the existing pack and others that mount on the bottom of the leaf pack...

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The leveling keys work fine, they will stiffen up the front end a little, but not near asmuch as cranking the T-bars that far will. Use blocks in the rear, or better yet air bags. If you use helper springs strong enough to give you added lift in the rear, the ride will literally bounce your kidneys to death. And, you should get an alignment when lifting the front, especially anything over an inch or so...

Quick Reply: lifted without a lift??