3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Gears

Okay, well I ordered the gears from AirRam just now. I talked to the Local Dodge dealership and they said they don't do aftermarket gears. So now I need to find a local shop or someone to do it. I am thinking I will call goodyear tom when my firend is working. Thanks Hammer for all the help. Maybe TDMopar can add this to his list of all the helpful things to know

Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is one that you DO NOT want to cheap out on. Find a good, experienced gear installer, get references of people who he's done installs for if you need to. This is a job that is f**k'd up almost every time an inexperienced installer tries to tackle it. Get a written quote and a warranty on the install, ask him if he is prepared to open it up and re-set them if they whine.

Break them in properly, too.

Do your homework here, if they are installed right, they will provide you with years of dependable service and added performance over stock gears.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i have a really, really mechanically inclined friend, does it as side jobs. And his reccomendation to me was to take it to a good shop.

Basically, Exactly what hammer said.

Ask about the warranty, and get literature/print outs to back it up.
Make sure he is prepared to redo it if they whine.
Break em in EXACTLY like they say too.

If you do all that, it will be good for years and years.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
all american rammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 wheel parts is installing my lift so I guess I will call them tomorrow and talk about getting that done too. Yea it's only a 4x2, I know it sucks, but all a college kid can do for now. I graduate in May so then it will be cummins time and I will do it right then and get the 4x4. Anyways all the feedback was awesome as usual and I will be looking at getting the 4.56 gears asap.

Quick Reply: Gears