3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Amsoil
11.92%
Royal Purple
9.84%
Penzoil
5.70%
Valvoline
6.22%
Redline
0.52%
Quaker State
2.07%
Mobil 1
43.52%
Castrol
7.25%
Conventional
6.22%
Other
6.74%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Question for those of you who use Amsoil. Why can't you purchase this oil at regular outlets like Wally world?
Amsoil as a corporation does not sell that way. They sell through direct dealers. Now you may find parts stores that have delaer licenses and carry it. My local Oreilly does that, but mostly it is a direct independant dealer system.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I run Amsoil and a wix filter. and yes, you have to find a dealer or there are a few stores that sell it. thats what I do. Igot certified to dopersonal and commertial sales.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 AM
sddunn2
Professional

everyone says how good this or that oil is . im sure synthetic oils are great but has anyone ever had a problem with using conventional oil ?? Are you really getting that much more protection from a synthetic oil ?I spoke with a pennzoil rep and he said for the average driver synethetic does not benifit them . He said that if you are towing or in very hot or cold climates that is where you really get the benifits . I have used synthetic in the past and im sure i will again in the near future as i do tow a trailer , but for the everyday driver i dont know if you are really getting the benifits for spending that much more money ??

Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 PM
brianas
Professional

i use MC 5w20 semi-synthetic , comes in 5 qt jugs
from wallyworld, for $10.change. +wix filter

i think use synthetic if you can afford it, but seems more
important to just use the correct oil and keep it clean,
by changing every 3k miles. im sure more miles are fine
if all highway , but i always have a mix of towing, stop an go,
hauling-- its a truck.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:39 PM
ruffnready5

The best oil can be determined by your local machine shop. Both shops have been in town for over 20 years and BOTH contest penzoil, and qauker state motors are packed with sludge when they come in and they both say Valvoline as far as regular oil for gas burners seem to give the best protection against wear and sludge build up.. I didn't ask about deisels or synthetics. THE MAIN THING IS TO CHANGE YOUR OIL AS RECOMMENDED OR SOONER!!!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

Made my first switch to synthetic a couple of months ago. I have no complaints about Mobil 1. I cannot base my vote on anything but that.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM
jase71

Up here in International Falls, MN a good synthetic sometimes makes the difference between your truck starting in the morning, and not starting. -20 F is common. -30 F isn't rare. I've got to imagine that if synthetic makes the truck start easier, it's also a lot easier on the engine at those temps, at least until the oil warms up.

I've used Mobil 1 for quite a few years, but will probably check out Penzoil Platinum now that Mobil 1 appears to be nothing special anymore. Nothing against Amsoil, I've just never used it before, and I can't get it where I get my oil changed. I know, I should change my own. But when the temps are well below 0, it's worth a few extra bucks to have it done.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 AM
SeaMedic
Professional

Seeing as how this is my first new truck in 9 years, do you find that it's a pain in the butt to do your own maintenance (i.e. oil changes) on your trucks? That was one of the reasons I held out so long getting rid of my old chevy. Mine's not the primary vehicle so it sits a lot and hasn't even made it's 1st oil change.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

As much as I've heard about Royal Purple, I'm surprised not to see much mention of it at all here. Has anyone tried and disliked it? How does it compare to Amsoil in terms of cost? Right now I'm running Q-Power for 4x4's. Can't complain either. Has performed well with the exception of cold starts (-10 to 15 degrees).

Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 PM
nathan_e
Rookie

I too am wondering about royal purple. I know a guy uses it ans says his milage has increased, and has had slight power gain on the dyno.