3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i need help, lots and fast.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
manogmin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help, lots and fast.

i was cleaning out my suspension today, cause i felt a front end shimmy from side to side, i rotated the tires and it pretty much went away, however, when i was under there i found that i could rotate my tie rod ends easily by hand. after looking, i was rotating everything up to the boot towards the r&p. i pulled and pushed, did not seem loose, but i could still rotate it with relative ease, is this normal? 2nd... one of my wheels sounds like a belt squeeking when going down the road, once the wind noise drops, i can hear it well. need to know what it could be. thanks.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Default RE: i need help, lots and fast.

Mine did that and the dealership replaced them both under warranty. if out of warranty the slip was 300 and something. (tie rods)

I have no idea about the tire squeak.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

Might be a stupid question but is the nut behind the tie rod end on that locks the tie rod in place? Just put my lift on and it made sure it was put back in the appropriate spot.
As for squeak, another stupid question, are the pads warn down to the point that the wear indicator is rubbing?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
manogmin
Professional

yes, and no. the retaining nut is in place and the brake pads are in goo condition, not worn much at all i still have at least 50% life left.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 AM
djr04
All Star

if it's more like a screech it could possibly be a wheel bearing. It would increase with speed. Or possibly a break pad/rotor issue. [/align]

Old 12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

ORIGINAL: djr04

if it's more like a screech it could possibly be a wheel bearing. It would increase with speed. Or possibly a break pad/rotor issue. [/align]
Judging by the pic of your truck you get in the mud a bit. I do as well and itdestroyed my front bearings. My noise got progressivly worse. I jacked up the truck and there was noticable play in the hub. I could move the wheel around with my hands. If it's just one side you can compare the play from side to side. If that is your problem, you have to replace the whole hub as a unit, they don't sell just the bearings. I think i gave $220 at the stealership because no one else had any in stock.

Be sure and post what you discover.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

I am with ce2flacoi take mine through alot of mud and i have replaced my wheel bearings 4 times. Make sure to check them my started out as a slight squeal and got progressivley worse!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
danmac520
Default Front Bearings

I've been pricing them for my 03 QC 2wd. RockAuto.com has the hub assembly for $179. plus shipping (about $10).

Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

my wife came home the other day with what sounded kinda like brake squeak. after inspecting, i found mud caked around the caliper and scraping the rotor. i mention this after seeing the muddy pic. hope it helps.

Quick Reply: i need help, lots and fast.