3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 70k 4.7 -- old and tired or else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM
wosneski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CONCLUSION?

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71
Now if Chrysler could build a tranny as reliable as their engines...
Speaking of trannies, do I have an NV3500 or an NV4500?

And FWIW, New Venture (one ofDCX's, oranybody's, main driveline suppliers)typically makes some pretty stout driveline parts. IIRC their QC standards are higher than the typicalChryCo assembly line. I actually spent a month or two touring one of their main facilities, years back.

Adam

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is sad that Chrysler sold its 50% share of New Venture
and does not seem to be giving them new business

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the same issues with the 05-08 dakotas. I have the 3.7l which is very similar to your 4.7, and that 4.7 is in the 3rd gen daks as well. Mine runs great, it just ticks at idle like you described. It has been discussed among us and the dealer that this is nothing to be worried about.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Rammin02

FWIW- We just bought a 2002 Ram with the 4.7 about 6 months ago and it had just under 100k miles on the clock. Being a mechanic and vehicle nut, the first thing I did was do a total tune up and changed the oil to Mobil 1 with a pure one filter. The truck runs awesome did develop a light tick at cold startup like you describe but it wasn't enough to concern me as I've heard many OHC motors over the years do this.

I also just did the can of combustion cleaner and new autolites 3923's. And considering the champions I took out were SHOT, it really helped the truckwith acceleration and smoothness.

Anyway, I'm thinkin most of your "tick" was in the exhaust leak, which canreally sound like a valvetrain issue. Don't sweat it,keep the oil changed and take care ofitand you'll be fine.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
wosneski

ORIGINAL: Rammin02

FWIW- We just bought a 2002 Ram with the 4.7 about 6 months ago and it had just under 100k miles on the clock. Being a mechanic and vehicle nut, the first thing I did was do a total tune up and changed the oil to Mobil 1 with a pure one filter. The truck runs awesome did develop a light tick at cold startup like you describe but it wasn't enough to concern me as I've heard many OHC motors over the years do this.

I also just did the can of combustion cleaner and new autolites 3923's. And considering the champions I took out were SHOT, it really helped the truckwith acceleration and smoothness.

Anyway, I'm thinkin most of your "tick" was in the exhaust leak, which canreally sound like a valvetrain issue. Don't sweat it,keep the oil changed and take care ofitand you'll be fine.

Next time I'll try these 3923's. But yeah, the "tick" that I've heard several people here and elsewhere describe begrudgingly as "normal" is gone in my truck, though just to be safe lucas will go in every oil change.But the new exhaust gasketsquieted the valvetrain noise.

the 4.7 has a surprising buttload of power, and sounds fairly mean with the Gibson SuperTruck short pipe muffler. Drives like a new truck now and I'm happy with it, with the exception of the Michelins which are either out-of-round or unbalanced or both, but those will go later on.

Adam

Quick Reply: 2004 70k 4.7 -- old and tired or else?