3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic 4WD won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Jeff W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 4x4 Reset

Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo
Your right, (jsut checked my truck) that is the button. try it. I think I put the truck in neutral. held it in for like 5 seconds or something like that and then it all started working again.
This is the fix for a 4x4 circuit with a flashing neutral button, sometimes caused by selecting 4x4 Lo while driving or not in neutral, IMHO. With key on, hold the 'Neutral Button' in for 5 seconds.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:39 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

11 years ago dude.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:10 AM
Rpease270
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolved

Originally Posted by Ram4wd
I have a 2006, Ram 1500 Hemi Auto with the electronic 4wd control. Truck includes the 4wd Auto mode as well as 4wd Hi and 4wd Lo plus a neutral position.

I have had the truck about 4 months, bought used, and have used the 4wd with no problems before. I have used all modes as well; 4wd Auto, 4wd Hi and 4wd lo. Today, I got into some snow up around Mt Hood OR and the 4wd system would not engage in any position.

I returned home and researched the owners manual on the correct procedures; to no avail. Since it is an "on-the-fly" system, you basically just shift in and out of 4wd so long as you are traveling below 55 mph. But today, as I stated, nothing. I can shift the transfer case into neutral, but even after trying that, I could not get it to go into any 4wd mode.

While this may still be under warranty, just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts as to the possible source of the problem.
Here is what I did. I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi. The problem for me was I would try to engage the 4wd and the light would just flash on my dash. I could hear the first part of the actuation start but didn't hear it lock in. I replace the actuator and it didnt fix the problem. What fixed the problem was I lifted the fuse box out and removed the plug labeled "D" and the yellow and dark green wire is what you are looking for. Tested the ohms and found it did no fall within range. Range is suppose to be 1.5-20 ohms. I bought electrical contact cleaner for sensitive electronics and a tiny tiny pipe cleaner. I did this because on the green wire the female side was discolored showing evidence of corrosion. I sprayed the cleaner in the plug side let soak for a minute or two and used pipe cleaner to clean out debris. I repeated same steps a couple of times. I did one final flush by spraying the plug and fuse box port vigorously for about 10 seconds a side (both male and female side). Let dry, reconnected and havent had an issue since. Works just as it should. Hope this helps because when I was looking for help I couldn't find a fix. This fixed mine.

Quick Reply: Electronic 4WD won't engage