3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Member with questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:41 AM
jesseh627
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with questions

Hello All,

Just purchased myself a, (new to me), 2003 Red QuadCab with a Hemi! Love the truck, and have been on this message board reading up almost everyday since Ipurchased my belated Christmas present.

I've really enjoyed reading all of the various posts regarding fuel mileage and performance, but have a couple of questions I haven't seen addressed.

My truck is a Lone Star Edition. Anyone have information on exactly what that is? I've been able to find very little information on it.

The top of my dash pad is cracked on the passenger side, the local dealership says it has been a problem, but Dodge is doing nothing about it. Any suggestions?

Lastly, when my truck iscold, it takes what seems like me a long time to shift to overdrive. Any suggestions as to what to look for?

This is a great site, and I'm glad I found it. I've had more fun reading all of your posts from people who enjoy their trucks as much as I am. Man..I'm like a kid with a new toy!!

2003 Red QuadCab
5.7 Hemi
20" Wheels/Tires
Lone Star Edition

Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
tnt1036
Professional
Default RE: New Member with questions

Congrats on the truck and welcome. I don't know anything about the lone star edition. The dash problem I think was mostly from trucks that have been kept out in extreme heat and sun. You could get one of those dash covers and that would be a cheap cosmetic fix to the problem. Your shifting issue is probably just normal it takes mine about five miles for the trans to warm up and shift into overdrive. This is when it is left outside in the cold I think it is a safty thing for the trans.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
jesseh627

I'm glad to hear that about the transmission. Itmakes me rest a little easier. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

a lonestar edition is similar to the thunderroad and such... it was only available in Texas and gives you the lonestar badging and a couple small interior upgrades...

Old 12-31-2007, 03:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to squint at the tranny fluid level. Make sure you follow the procedure to get an accurate reading. Low fluid can cause reluctant shifting. How cold is "cold"?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
ray97
Veteran

Congrats on the new truck. Mine also has the crack in the dash, I put a dashcover on it and I also put some epoxy on it to hopefully stop it from doing anything more even though it is cracked from the w.s. to the glove box. It costs about 1k to replace the dash[:@]

Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
7floorsofhell
Professional

welcome and glad you joined. I have an 03 and I have no dash problems, never talked to anyone who has. as far as the shifting goes, get that checked out, if its idling to high that might stop it from going to fourth. not a mechanic. but welcome again anyways.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM
tafet
Professional

Congrates on the truck. I have an 03 quad cab with the 4.7. I read that until the trannyreaches operating temp that it won't shift into overdrive. It's a design feature. It's always a good idea to check the fluid level. You never know what the last guy did or the last time it was checked..

Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
jesseh627

Thanks to all on the responses. I checked the tranny fluid the first time after I had the delay in it going to overdrive. The fluid looks clear, was the correct level, and didn't have any burnt odor. The morning i first noticed the delay, it was in the 30's. I left out in it today around noon for the first time and there were no delays going to overdrive, so hopefully all is well.

Quick Reply: New Member with questions