3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Wheel HP for Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:26 PM
EastTNHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel HP for Hemi

First, let me say that I love my 04 QC and in the 3 years that I have owned it have been trouble free. My brother in law just bought an 07 a couple of months ago. Last week he read in the TruckIn mag a review of each brands true HP rating at the rear wheels. This stated that all 3 domestic brands were well below that advertised rating. It rated the Hemi around 250HP, which is more than a 10 to 15% loss drivetrain loss from the 345 rating. Anyway, has anyone here don a dyno on the hemi whithout any mods and can give me a true rating? My in-law has now started looking at the new Tundra but I find it hard to believe this review. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Rear Wheel HP for Hemi

all of the stock ratings are at the flywheel for all manufacurers... i always heard the hemi around 275-290 at the rear stock... but i could be wrong/..

Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All vehicles are advertised with crank horsepower, not wheel horsepower. It's been that way forever.

Drivetrain loss, while frequently expressed as a percentage, is more of a fixed amount. If your engine made 500 crank hp, it wouldn't mean you'd lose more to the drivetrain than the stock engine dones. It'll lose the same ~50hp it does now.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before my turbo I dyno'd 267 RWHP with CAI and flowmaster.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Saw the dyno comparisons on an '05 4x2 SCSB before (bone stock) and after (CAI, Cat back, LT Headers, Cam, Springs, Retainers, Super Damper, E-Fan & Tuner) KRC Performance got done with it. It made something like 255 RWHP before and I believe around 370 after.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: EastTNHemi

First, let me say that I love my 04 QC and in the 3 years that I have owned it have been trouble free. My brother in law just bought an 07 a couple of months ago. Last week he read in the TruckIn mag a review of each brands true HP rating at the rear wheels. This stated that all 3 domestic brands were well below that advertised rating. It rated the Hemi around 250HP, which is more than a 10 to 15% loss drivetrain loss from the 345 rating. Anyway, has anyone here don a dyno on the hemi whithout any mods and can give me a true rating? My in-law has now started looking at the new Tundra but I find it hard to believe this review. Thanks for any feedback.
10%-15% drivetrain loss is for cars mainly....trucks have a higher loss of around 18%-early 20%. From the dyno sheets that i've seen a 2wd Hemi will dyno around 265rwhp. Dodge trucksalso seem to have higher then normal drivetrain loss...not sure why that is.

There's a vid of a RCSB 5.7 tundra running a 14.2 at 97mph bone stock....that's fast as hell for a stock mass produced truck. Here's a vid http://youtube.com/watch?v=KrRlDCIZDvs

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel HP for Hemi