3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bi-Xenon HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinjval
You need to have a 50-55 watt system. The 35 watt's too low of a power draw and the computer mistakes them for a burnt out bulb.
Do a bit of looking around and youw ill see we use 20w resistors to compensate for that. Look in almost any HID thread and you will see where we use resistors.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 PM
mucker247
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just got a set of HIDS from a good friend, made in Germany. they did the same thing on for two seconds then off . what i did to fix mine inside one of the switches i switched the positive and negative wires and they worked fine , i have no idea why this worked but the person I got them from said he did it to his and they worked. you might want to give that a try

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
derekkeller1

I have a 2005 dodge ram and just bought a set of 55 watt hi/lo HIDs and a set of 35 watt for my fog lights. They all hooked up and turned on fine. BUT, I get a lamp out light and when I flip on my High beams, ALL of the lights shut off. i need a solution someone help me with this.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Matt99
Champion

the main lights need 55w to show a working bulb and the fogs do not matter, so thats why there is no flickering

what are your ballasts doing when you flip on the highs? do you hear the magnets engaging? any buzzing? have you taken a multimeter and seen if you are getting power to the ballasts when you flip the highs on? Your truck might be limiting the voltage if they are drawing too much OR the ballasts might be using a safety feature that prevents a surge of power

What happens if you pull back and light up the highs/fogs?

Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

To manage and stop the blinking I suggest using 50 watt resistors to trick the PCM into thinking there are bulbs in place. This will stop that flickering and also make the Lamp Out light go away. They are only needed on the headlights and not the figs so uo only need 4 of them.

Your fog lights will NOT stay on with the high beams. So it sounds like the fogs are working fine. You just need to go back over your wiring to see why your high beams are not working and it could simply be your lack of using 50 watt resistors to show the presents of the OEM bulbs like Matt suggested.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID problem