3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bi-Xenon HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-Xenon HID problem

This is for anyone with a bi-xenon HID kit in their 3rd Gen Ram. I recently purchased one from the somewhat soul-less eBay and can't get any troubleshooting help from the guy I purchased it from. I have an HID kit in my fog lights (thanks to the S-10 I traded in) and everything works fine, but when I installed my bi-xenon headlight kit and turned the headlights on...all they do is blink on and off in about two second increments. I have checked EVERYTHING including my grounds, power, and all connections. I have no problems with my halogen headlights, only the HIDs. Please don't give me adviceon buying from eBay or anything like that, I just need help with the headlights. My truck is an '04 and keep in mind it's not the kit because my boss has almost the exact same truck (year, make, model, engine) and bought the same kit from the same guyand is having the exact same problem. Thanks for any help.

For Future references
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...k-in-here.html

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-03-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bi-Xenon HID problem

A quick search for 'HID blink' would give you your answer immediately. There's nothing wrong with your kit or buying from ebay.

I don't have the answer because I haven't put HIDs on my truck, yet I know it's an extremely common issue.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:31 PM
djr04
All Star

not 100% on this, but I think I've heard of people fixing this with a resistor or a different ballast. [/align]

Old 12-31-2007, 08:41 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Yeah, all I found was two links to my own post and two others which were un-related. I have gotten some information on the resistor idea, but I think it refers to more of a flicker than my two second on/off blink...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
dubbled23

it has nothing to do with the cheaper sets, ebay or what have you. the problem is in the truck itself,

i have a 06 megacab diesel bought and installed a set of hi/lo beam HID's with the relay and the digital ballasts. installed them, checked them, worked great. started the truck- they worked great for 1 minute then flash 3 times and go out.Hi beamstill will work- low will not. shut off engine- re switch lights on, work great!! i am a licened mechanic so i know its not b/s about a poor ground or a wiggling wire- there is a problem. called my supplier/installer and took the truck there, together we spent approx 2 1/2 hours installed filters, another style of bulb and ballasts, changed the relay ect ect- no different. all along i suspected the truck iteslf.

so with truck running and a voltmeter hooked up low beam supply wire has 12 volts all the time. getting late so we put factory halogens in and i drove home, thinking. it came to me-these trucks have can bus systems and various modules that take signals and supplyoutputs to various systems.so i did some research and
these trucks (not all ram trucks) use a ground pulse on the headlights to determine if the bulb is working.
thats the reader's digest version of the ground pulse - i have a factory manual and wiring diagram and spent some time researching and found that the module that conrols the lights is the problem- it is switching the ground off due to a load calculation, the ballast will shut down to protect themselves when there is a signal problem on batt or ground side.

sooo..... i am looking into resolution- reading other forums and some guys are putting a seperate relay on each HID and using the low beam wire as the signal and grounding to chassis, and others are doing some wierd things that arent very practial. i am working on bypassing the vehicle electric module and Daytime running lights to trick them or bypass them- but it looks like you can ground your HID Relay to the chassis
and pull the LO beam signal BEFORE it goes into the module- at or near the headlight switch itslef.

for me i am determined to have hi/lo HID that work off my factory switches- i also have HID fog lights and the other idea is to pull a power source form there to power the HID.

if anyone is interested i will continue to post the results, i hope this helps as i know i have spent almost 6 hours working on this and feel the dissapointment of them not working.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 AM
abarmby
Champion

I'd be VERY interested if you work out a solution, which is not only driving us crazing on this forum, but also on a bunch of others as well.
I have read that a guy tapped into his front running lights to maintain and trick the computer module you speak of, into maintaining this ground signal.
Tapping into the side lights makes the computer think that it still has a bulb installed and not these low resistance HID's. Yep, it means that you have to run around with your side lights on if you want your main beams, but I do that anyway.
I havent done this as yet, as the UK is rainy and cold at present and I'll have to wait till April/May before I start any modifying truck work when hopefully things will warm up???
Drop me a line if you think that might help?
Regards,
Al.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Donaca04

does anybody have any updates on this HID issues?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yeah................. what he said BUMP

Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Matt99
Champion

I bought the Maxvision set...cost a little more but NO problems....the ground pulse can be tricked by resistors supposedly, a 10ohm is what I was told. Those HID's don't pull enough voltage to show that they are on, so the computer pulses it to see if they are working. Tim at garzausarmy@yahoo.com might could help you, thats who I bought my set from, might buy my foglight kit also....but he seems to know alot about this

Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Tim is great at answering questions. I have a set of Maxvision HIDs and am waiting on replacement bulbs to fit the custom harness he makes so the bulbs wont flash or give you a lamp out light on.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID problem