3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bi-Xenon HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM
redram33s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of the Bi xeon hids . Installed them and the flicker. I have seen some post of people adding capacitors to each ballest . I did that . the lights came on for a few mins then started to flicker again. the guy i bought them from wont help me out with sending me the right part. does anyone have anything to help me out .. please email me at jasonarem@yahoo.com and in the subject put HIDS .. thanks jay

Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 AM
donjohnk
Veteran

We had many issues installing the HID's.

1. The power isn't being drawn to the bulbs, so that causes them not to work. try this though. put the test light to one of the hid's and they'll work fine till you start the truck. The lights are being comtrolled but the computer and its noticing no or very little power which cause the strobe effect. Lamp out light comes on too.

2. We had to run an extra power wire to the balast given in the kit..

3. I installed just a single beam HID kit. Its a wiring mess. Run power wire from balast to power terminal, tie into parking lamp with wires from headlights for extra draw.

My buddy went out and bought some resistors for his Ram, he used 30w to run both of his and they worked fine, only down fall is the resistors got super SUPER HOT!! I know, he said feel how hot they are and I did. Won't do that again.

If ya get them working, You'll love em. Just the fog lights alone are enough to drive around at night. I'm using 6000k kit, so far haven't been pulled over by the cops. But I can tell people don't like em very much when they drive by or stuck ahead of me.

good luck

Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
mountaingade
Rookie
Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
tynev7

Is this problem evident in all of the 3rd generation rams or only certain years. I had a set of HID's in my 2003 that worked great but I didn't like that they were only low beams rather than High and Low, so I removed them and returned them. I am now looking to buy some bi-xenon bulbs so that I have both high and low beam but want to make sure I'm not going to have such a hard time like aparently a lot of people are having. I don't care about having the Lamp out light on but I just don't want the flickering problem. Also, which do you guys think are better. The kits that only plug into the original harness or the kits that come with a relay that you power from the battery?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Austinjval
Default Try a 55 watt kit

I too had problems with 2 different HID kits on my '07 Ram. The headlights worked fine with my truck off but as soon as I turned on the engine they'd flicker a few times and shut off. I tried resistors, capacitors, and relay harnesses to no avail. Finely I said screw it and took my truck to a customizing shop. They told me I'd need a higher wattage kit b/c the computer controls the lights and when it sends out a test pulse it will just flicker and shut off if it doesn't sense a high enough power draw. They put the 55 watt kit with a relay harness and now the lights work perfect.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You need a cancellor kit. https://www.xenonking.com/cart.html

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You need a cancellor kit. https://www.xenonking.com/cart.html
dont see a link for a " cancellor kit " on the site...

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

click on Replacement parts and it will give you 4 boxes, one of them being the Cancellor kit. You need to scroll down to the correct bulb size and add it to your cart. Or just call with a credit card. You may be able to get that on ebay for much less? Just be ready for inferior quality.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Goose102
Wink

I just installed the HIDs into my ThunderRoad today, got them off eBay and the work just great... except..,we thought the bulbs or ballast might have been bad... but after thinking about the combo hi/low i put the high beams on and the HIDs worked just fine. So now i have to ride around with my high beams on all the time... so the question now is how can i make a relay so i can leave them on low beam so my HID fog lights can work as well... if anyone knows... please PM me or email me @ kgoose3789@yahoo.com

Last edited by Goose102; 11-12-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:46 AM
lazaro713

All yall have to do is take it to the dealership and they'll fix it for u, mine turned off when i started my truck, but someone tried to steal my truck, so my insurance send it to the dealer to get it reprogram because they mess up the ignitaion switch and while it was there they fix my hid lights and now they work fine, it's always the head lights cuz my fog lights worked fine since the beggining

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID problem