3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A-Pillar Leak! UPDATE BELOW.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:06 PM
mopar74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A-Pillar Leak! Bump for donwilliamson

ORIGINAL: mopar74

It appears that I found the right technician. I drove my truck in ASAP. After letting the truck warm they immediately went to the area behind the upper weather stripping on the door at the roof directly above the a-pillar handle. Behind there are the screws that hemiyellow stated were there. A very brief water test produced water in the upper screw pocket of the handle.

The handle screws were removed, the weather stripping was removed, and the truck was allowed to warm and dry out.

The upper screws were checked and not all were tight - thus the leak. The screws were backed off, after being dried and cleaned the new sealant, (RTV I believe), was applied behind and around the screws. The weather stripping was replaced and the truck was left indoors for the sealant to tack over. As it was the passenger side I will not operate it until the weekend when the weather warms.

WORD OF CAUTION: According to others and the tech this is a notorius weak spot where our trucks flex. The more twisting you do in your tuck, it does not have to be 4X4, this is where the weak link is. Most of my twisting is just uneven terrain, occasional logs/drift wood, dirt access roads and river beds. And of course snow. This was over the course of the day: while the mechanic worked on other things while my truck warmed, dried out and tacked over. Hell it didn't even get looked at until it was indoors for almost an hour - too cold. Prepare to leaveyour truckfor a good water test and fix or a long wait.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM
DodgeBluto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was leaking as well. I pulled off the flexable rubber weather strip, un screwed all the torx bolts and removed the hard black channel that the weather strip fits on.
I found a lot of debris in that channel between the rigid black piece and the truck body and windshield. That debris will stop the water from flowing and allow it to "backup".

I also found what mopar74 said to be true, my torx screws at the junction point of the two prieces were a little loose. Do I removed the rigid black parts, cleaned them and the body, I used clear RTV with an extra dab in each torx screw hole.

Reassembled, and have no problems.

I know this has been dead for a while.....but what the heck.

Quick Reply: A-Pillar Leak! UPDATE BELOW.