3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Don't let people borrow your truck...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't let people borrow your truck...

Not my truck, but it could have been. Me and a friend let another good buddy borrow our 1500 HEMI trucks to move with. Everything went great, got mine back from my friend. full tank of fuel, premium, but i think it will survive.

Freind gets his back, from buddy's dad. It's running rough, real rough. Then after about 5 miles it just dies. Wants to turn over, even coughs up a start but wont stay running and smells terrible. We tow it to stealership and they call back about an hour later and i hear this on speaker phone...

"Yeah. this is bob at...calling about your truck"
"Hi"
"Found out whats wrong with your truck"
"great"
"What kind of fuel have you been putting in"
"strictly shell or chevron mid grade"
"you sure", cause it has diesel in it now"

Yup, my buddy's dad was a nice guy and filled up his truck for him. Pulled real good, and it's loud, i just thought it was diesel

He is paying for the fuel to get drained, a full fuel system flush, new fuel filter, injector cleaning, new points and plugs, and even ordered him a new trueflow, so that is cool though.

In some form of minute excuse, it is debadged, but still a magnaflow hemi, sounds nothing like a Cummins.

Anything else you guys can think of that needs to be changed/replaced or he should worry about. I dont know what kind of damage this can do

Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Don't let people borrow your truck...

that should do the trick... they even have the fuel additives you can put in if you wanna get real particular... its a sham that happened though...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'd be pissed if that was my rig...sounds like something a woman would do.The cats could have some damage from any raw diesel that got spewed into them...so if he throws a low cateffeciency code down the road that could be why.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 PM
mopar74
Professional

Sorry to hear about it! But not surprised unfortunately. My truck is also debadged.

I pulled in to afull-serve and ran inside and asked the attendant to fill the tank. This was immediately after putting down a 5-gallon diesel can in front of the diesel nozzle, (camp generator). He was busy and was just starting to get to my truck with diesel whichruns ongas.

I now have a "Brother P-Touch" print out for '89 Octane ONLY'on the inside of the gas filler door.

Thankfully it was averted. The idea of the sticker came from a friend who reminded me of our old cars when they started switching to 'unleaded only'.

Again sorry to hear - good luck!

Matt

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i filled my old chevy about 1/2 way up with diesel one time. the guy beside me looked up and looked at me (holding the diesel hose) and the truck and back at me and politely said... is that truck a diesel. i looked at him like he was an idiot and said.. no why. he replied.. well i was just wondering why you were filling it up with diesel fuel

so i filled it the the rest of the way with premium and it ran about the same as normal.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 AM
02QCGirl

If a woman doesnt know that shes drivin a diesel....then she shouldnt be drivin a truck in the first place!!! I know the difference.....Diesel fumes make me horny....hee hee

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to a buddy of mine here in town, he did it to his own truck. He came down to visit and went to fill up at Amoco. He pulled to the pump that also had a diesel nosel, however there, the green nozel is for regular gas, not diesel like most pumps, and he threw the black nozel (which was diesel) in it not really paying attention, and got it filled about halfway up before he realized what he was doing.... He had it towed from the station and tank drained, so luckily he didn't get any diesel to the engine, but it was still a costly mistake..

Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

well the combustion chambers should be pretty clean if the diesel went in it lol

Old 01-04-2008, 03:17 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, I was working as a crew with a female partner inour Mercedes ambulance.

We werestuck behind a woman for AGES...................

We finally figured that she had broken down andmy colleague asked what was up.

This lady said, she had just filled up her car with diesel and couldn't move it.

Mycolleague climbed back in and was fuming[:@] wehad waited so long in the gas queue.

She told me to pull around to the next pump and still fuming, climbed out and started to fill our ambulance.

As she got back in, I started up and 200 yards down the road came to a shuddering halt................yep you guessed........cos' she was so pissed and full of herself over the "dumb blonde", her quote btw, filling up a gas car with diesel, she filled the diesel ambulance with

petrol[sm=loser.gif] 26 gallons of it[sm=badidea.gif]

Of course...........I didn't say anything [sm=innoc.gif]....................much lol.[sm=laughat.gif][sm=escape.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]

She got a right bollocking from management!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: abarmby

Last year, I was working as a crew with a female partner inour Mercedes ambulance.

We werestuck behind a woman for AGES...................

We finally figured that she had broken down andmy colleague asked what was up.

This lady said, she had just filled up her car with diesel and couldn't move it.

Mycolleague climbed back in and was fuming[:@] wehad waited so long in the gas queue.

She told me to pull around to the next pump and still fuming, climbed out and started to fill our ambulance.

As she got back in, I started up and 200 yards down the road came to a shuddering halt................yep you guessed........cos' she was so pissed and full of herself over the "dumb blonde", her quote btw, filling up a gas car with diesel, she filled the diesel ambulance with

petrol[sm=loser.gif] 26 gallons of it[sm=badidea.gif]

Of course...........I didn't say anything [sm=innoc.gif]....................much lol.[sm=laughat.gif][sm=escape.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]

She got a right bollocking from management!
That's funny!!!!![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Quick Reply: Don't let people borrow your truck...