3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 PM
MrBlaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by gronotte
Hi,
I have an 03 Ram 1500w/hemi and the check engine lite comes on with the ETC lite flashing on the dash after a couple hours of freeway driving. It never happens in city driving. I reboot by disconnecting the battery and it cures the problem for a couple more hours.
Does anyone have an idea or two?
Help Please
Bob [align=right][/align]
I have Had this same Problem for the last three months when i start my car its fine i drive several miles and the (ETC) and check engine light pop on and my truck starts idling hard. I recently bought a can of
(MAF) mass air flow sensor cleaner by CRC, and i took out the sensor that is in the throttle body and sprayed it down and i wiped out the throttle body with a paper towel i reasmbled everything and now ive driven quite far and havnt had the problem since

Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Craigenstein
Default Reply to '03 ETC flashing light problem

I had the exact same problem with my '03 Hemi (as have several others on this forum...actually, THAT problem is why I joined it). I went to my parts store (Schucks Auto Supply) and borrowed their diagnostic tool. I pluged it into my truck in the parking lot (took only 2 miinutes), and downloaded the codes. My code said "low air flow". I replaced the air filter with a K & N high-flow filter, and the problem was solved. Additionally, I got an extra 10 horsepower, and at leat 12% in fuel economy as a result of replacing with this filter.

Your code may be different, but if it is the same as mine, consider the same fix.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Trigger
Professional

Does anyone know how to do the key trick on an 04 Hemi? The on again/off again x3 doesn't work on my truck. It doesn't do anything actually.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM
oldretailer

Trigger, on my 02 you have to hold down the mileage reset button while you turn the switch.
HTH,

o.r.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:24 PM
26wisc26
Default New Code?

Hi all,

Have a used 2005 Ram1500 5.7 Hemi with approx 55,000 mi...the truck will barely turn over and will not accelerate and just sputters and dies. I can't even move it out of my driveway. The ETC warning light just flashes. I did the ignition code thing and it showed the following codes:
P0123, P0222 and P2111. I found the codes for the first two on this thread, but can not find anything for P2111.

I'm wondering if I have some serious problems here and with the low mileage on my truck, is this normal or not. Also, I'm hoping that the warranty will cover this.

Any comments are appreciated!

Last edited by 26wisc26; 09-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yahoo search = P2111: The powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a greater angle then commanded.
All sound related to the throttlebody. Sounds like it needs a good cleaning as well.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 PM
dazed01
Veteran

Originally Posted by 26wisc26
Hi all,

Have a used 2005 Ram1500 5.7 Hemi with approx 55,000 mi...the truck will barely turn over and will not accelerate and just sputters and dies. I can't even move it out of my driveway. The ETC warning light just flashes. I did the ignition code thing and it showed the following codes:
P0123, P0222 and P2111. I found the codes for the first two on this thread, but can not find anything for P2111.

I'm wondering if I have some serious problems here and with the low mileage on my truck, is this normal or not. Also, I'm hoping that the warranty will cover this.

Any comments are appreciated!
You might want to check your battery and charging system.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:28 PM
tj111action
Default 05 dodge hemi throttle issue

I own a 2005 dodge ram hemi. It seemed to hesitate when you first started it up and then put it in drive it wouldn't go for a second and then would pick up. Felt like it was out of tranny fluid. Then it died on my wife. Got it to start back up and the etc light was flashing had irregular idle and had to limp it home with no throttle. It only has 63,000 on it and the dealer was saying it was the throttle body or the pedal assembly. I just couldn't believe that the parts would have failed already with the low mileage. I Investigated it myself and found that on the left side of the engine (when sitting in drivers seat) at the back of the fuel rail the electrical connector closest to the fire wall was laying against the fuel line. Upon further inspection i found that the pink wire with the yellow stripe had rubbed on the fuel line to bare wire. I fixed it with a pink or samon colored heat shrink butt connector, and then taped the wire loom up real good. Problem fixed! I could imagine that this is a common problem due to the connector location, and considering the dodge wiring harness isn't covered with wire loom like other manufacturers, which makes the wires more suseptable to damage. Hope this helps someone it saved me a ton of headache and money! God bless! With prayer, and faith ne thing is possible!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
mraguilar
Cool

doing google searching, i ended up in this forum. my Throttle light come on and the car went into "limp mode" after scanning codes, and removed the TB, cleaned and re install still failing, i researcher more and ended up in replacing it by a new TB. once installed and cleared codes, the car started nicely.

I dis-assembly the bad TB and it has 2 gears (plastic) with tooth worn off. ill put pics for review.

Thanks to this forum, my car is on the roads again!!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
janie
Angry electronic throttler

Bob, I am having the same problem with the throttler. Does anyone know if this an on going thing with the dodge rams and if it is a recall?

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems