3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EXHAUST IS TOO LOUD INSIDE THE TRUCK WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
JCPlowing
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST IS TOO LOUD INSIDE THE TRUCK WHAT SHOULD I DO???

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi w/ high flow cats and a flowmaster super 40 muffler all 3inch with a tip out the side, the noise in the cab of the truck is making me sick, ive just put a plow on the truck and my first storm i had a headache after an hour, im thinking about switching the muffler to something not as loud, but im not sure if i want a flowmaster 50 because my cousin has that and its has the sound in the cab, but the muffler outside the truck is not really that loud. I was told a magnaflow might have what im looking for but ive allways been a flowmaster guy.
any suggestions?? tHAnks

Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: EXHAUST IS TOO LOUD INSIDE THE TRUCK WHAT SHOULD I DO???

The 50 FM is louder outside than the Magnaflow. The 50 is fairly quiet at idle but has sound with the gas applied. I will make a clip of my Hemi this weekend, it has a 50 CAT back and is 100% broke in.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 PM
07Hemi696
Amateur

A buddy of mine has the same problem. He put the flowmaster 40 on his chevy z71 and it is way loud. I was leaning toward the flowmaster 50, but decided at the last minute to go with the magnaflow. I just had it installed and is perfect for me. I wanted an exhaust that had a good sound, but one that my wife wouldn't complain about and I found it. Crusing around town you dont notice it, but when you get on it, man does it sound good.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

i have gibson's super truck.........ive had people stop me and tell me how good it sounded........not bad drone in the cab at all

Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
abarmby
Champion

Ha...............is that possible???

A V8 and it's lovely burble TOO LOUD???

Nah, just kidding with you.

I run a flowmaster 40 cat back and also a DMH electric cutout.
It's strange but, on the highway at certain speeds would you believe, the open cutout is quieter than the flowmaster???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

It's all to do with the resonance of materials and harmonics etc.

What I do, is tweek the sound by either opening or closing the cutout slightly either way.
This slightly alters the engine exhaust frequencies and stops/reduces the resonance booming through the cab.
It might not work for you but it's a nice way to convince the wife you need to buy an electric cutout
Al.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
JCPlowing
Rookie

thanks guys, im still not sure if i want to go with the flowmaster 50, or a magnoflow!!!! Anyone have a magnoflow 3inch exhaust?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Andrew S
Amateur

Perhaps you should consider how annoying it is to people outside of the cab too...

Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Go with Magnaflow!! Sounds great inside and out!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: JCPlowing

thanks guys, im still not sure if i want to go with the flowmaster 50, or a magnoflow!!!! Anyone have a magnoflow 3inch exhaust?
Yea I do..along with the front factory resonator because of the MDS. It has a good deepgrowl to it at part throttle so that you know it's there but it's not intrusive at all, and gets decentlyloud at WOT. Magnaflows also get a little louder as the packing material absorbs moisture and breaks in.

Flowmasters 50 HD almost made me change my mind about getting another magnaflow...but it was a little too loud for a DD.

Magnaflow out flows any flowmaster or any other chambered muffler...as does any straight-through muffler. Just thought i'd throw that in there just in case your spelling was suggesting otherwise.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get an AT3030 lol...that'll make some good sound for ya...cant recommend anything from blowmaster (err, i mean flowmaster ) mainly cause i hate them lol....magnaflow has been fairly decent, gibson isn't too bad, borla is really nice, and corsa isn't too bad either

Quick Reply: EXHAUST IS TOO LOUD INSIDE THE TRUCK WHAT SHOULD I DO???