3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I be angry or am I just stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008 | 09:56 AM
BadRam1
|
Veteran
Default Should I be angry or am I just stupid?

I was finally able to fill up with premium gas today (92) which meant that I was going to finally going to enjoy my Superchip. I opened up the box for the first time and noticed a nasty little surprise. The end of the cord that goes into the Superchip itself did not fit. Sorry I do not know the proper terminology for it, but the Superchip and the side that goes in the Superchip BOTH had "Female" ends. Neither one of them had insertable prongs. Also, one end has only 2 rows of little holes and the other end has 3 rows. The otherside of the cord did however fit into the truck. Am I just dumb and missing something or do I have a right to be angry?

I don't have any pics, but if it helps at all: http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemde...71-out2-wg.jpg

If the link worked, it is like the 2 ends on the right (except for a completely different pattern and 2 screws on the sides). I am lacking the end on the left.

Old 01-06-2008 | 10:26 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Default RE: Should I be angry or am I just stupid?

I don't know much about these except that I don't believe they're worth the money. Since that's not the issue, did you buy the unit recently and new? If so, it should have a list of "included items". Go through that and see if cables were supposed to be included. I think you should find a cable that connects to the OBDII connector (that will be a male to the OBD's female), and then connects to the Superchips. If all you need is an adapter to mate the cable to the Superchips, Radio Shack should have a double male connector (a DB-15 probably). I've seen some that cables were extra. Good luck and let us know how the tuner worked for you.

Old 01-06-2008 | 11:42 AM
BadRam1
|
Veteran

I just got back from Radio Shack. They said I needed a DB15 to a DB9 or something like that. They don't carry that part. I did find out where I can get one, but its closed today. I'm gunna pick it up tomorrow. I would have thought $400 would include everything

Old 01-06-2008 | 02:01 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

yes you should be very pissed......same exact thing happend to me i still havent gotten my cord and i got the programmer christmas eve. i also tryed to go to radio shack and they gave me the same answer. its not a regular 9 prong female. i also figured that if i dropped 400 on it then they would give me the customer service to put the right cable in or atleast answer the phone. luckily for me a local truck shop is a superchip dealer so they let me use their cord. i do love my tuner though haha.

Old 01-06-2008 | 04:19 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Sounds like you need a male / male gender converter, something like this:

Radio Shack DB9 Male to DB9 Male Gender Changer

My local store has them in stock

Old 01-06-2008 | 05:44 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

yea but its not just a regular genderbender

Old 01-06-2008 | 10:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: Mattcmdr

yea but its not just a regular genderbender
Why not? Pin spacing?

Old 01-06-2008 | 10:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yea, they must have gotten a messed up order from a supplier, I'm reading a ton of complaints on a bunch of forums, mostly on theirs. But they still should have checked the cables before sending them out. I'd get on their forum and bitch, big time. I'm sure they will send you the right cable for no charge, however, I'd not be happy unless they did so using over-night shipping...

Old 01-07-2008 | 02:17 PM
BadRam1
|
Veteran

So I went to a cpu store today that the guy at Radio Shack reccommeded. According to the cpu guys, the adapter that I need doesnt exist and I'm simply missing a part. I'mgoing to the place where I bought the Superchip tocomplain untilI get my part.

Old 01-07-2008 | 03:45 PM
08Hemi

I'd tell them you know it's missing a part... and that part is called a "gun"... and when you find that part... you are going to "use" that part correctly.

OK I wouldn't do that... but I would laugh if YOU did.

Quick Reply: Should I be angry or am I just stupid?