3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why Hot Rod a Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
MoparMan61L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Hot Rod a Ram?

Oh gosh this is gonna **** everyone off but I'm gonna say it anyway. Why do people buy Dodge Rams for speed? I mean, I have an 07 Hemi Ram and I think it is the greatest thing on the road but it's not fast and neither is any other full size truck. If I wanted to go fast I would buy a car or compact truck. I had a 2000 model Dakota standard cab with a 4.7L 5 speed and it would walk off and leave my standard cab Hemi Ram like it is sitting still. Maybe I am missing the point.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: Why Hot Rod a Ram?

Nope your not missing anything! You use your truck for one thing .... others use it for something else.

The fact I can toss my 8,000+ pound CTD off the line the way I can is just an exceptional feeling. There is something about seeing that big of a machine get up and run the way it does.

Do I have a problem with speed.....oh yeah!! Always have. Does having this big of a truck make me feel a little less like stepping on that long skinny pedal really hard ... nope

Yes my truck is a truck! It works and it pulls and it hauls and that is why it is in the driveway. Should I then also give up my enjoyment of turbo spool & tire chirp?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
tafet
Professional

For me personnally, I have a little crapolier for feul economy and driving to work. I like to hot rod the Ram because it's my toy. Pulls and carriers things when I need to, butI like to pull off theline to keep those punks and there little rice burners from cutting me off.It's all fun and games until one of those rice burners with a fart can gets run over. Then it's just FUN!!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if he has heard the symphony that a well tuned Hemi with a full exhaust system and good CAI can create. Music to my ears!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Speed is addictive. Sometimes you just cant help yourself.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mfs212

I wonder if he has heard the symphony that a well tuned Hemi with a full exhaust system and good CAI can create. Music to my ears!
+1

Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
MoparMan61L

As a matter of fact I have, but it doesn't make any difference when you hit the gas, make all that noise and your truck still doesn't go anywhere.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
mfs212
Captain

What are you talking about?!? I barely have to touch my gas pedal to get this giant thing moving.... MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

I hot rodded my ol ladys 74 slant 6 dart. Couldent help myself. Clifford cam, headers, and 4 barrel intake. Took the head off, shaved it to bump up the squeeze, had a good 3 angle valve job done, put a shift kit in the tranny and put 3.55 gears in it. the lil frog (as my wife called it, yep it was green) would scoot along pretty nicely!

HOT RODDING is not about going fast! Hot rodding is about not being able to leave well enough alone! Stock is boaring! modifying makes it your own!

Saw an episode of pinks all out, one guy driving a 4000# caddy in the 10's. Another guy with an LTD Stationwagon at about the same speed. either could have gone quicker in a Vega or Mustang, but they chose to be original. They made themselves happy, and thats what hot rodding is all about.

I hope this makes sense to you, if not, oh well, I tried

Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 AM
MoparMan61L

I understand what you are saying, maybe I am just getting old. I like a clean stock truck, the only aftermarket accessory I have on my truck is a Truxedo cover. I see people in my shop everydayand the first thing they do with a brand new Hemi truck is have the (very expensive and long lasting) factory exhaust cut off at some local hole in the wall and have some cheap *** pipes and flowmasters put on. That exhaust system that they scrap is worth many times what they replace it with. I understand everyone has their opinion but I just don't get it. Aftermarket crap just seems cheap to me.