3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

???UNUSUAL NOISE???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
04RamSLT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UNUSUAL NOISE

try this mine did the same thing passenger side...if u have independant suspension most likely ur half shaft stripped out...roufly 300 fix...on the independants you have a cogged shaft comeing out of your axle tube on the front end drivers and pass side which if you have ever worked on a front wheel drive car a peice like the cv joint goes overtop of that cog instead of into the axle housing like a car does then goes to another that attaches to the wheel via the half shaft mine stripped the axle and the cv joint and sounded like a chain rattleing if u have to replace the half shaft might as well while your at it install a new oil seal in the axle tube....

thats what i learned of a chain dragging noise on passenger side... i discoved the problem myself quite easy

jack up rear end off goung 6 inch of so put it in 4wd and hold brakes a little bit incase to slip and to put a lil more strain on front end and try to accelerate forward or reverse if the truck doesnt want to move and u hear grinding ifs the axle shaft stripped which inadvertantly strips the cv joint

mine would catch at higher speeds and chain noise would go away but not always

Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
04RamSLT

oops

Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

ILL BE SURE TO CHECK THAT AXLE TONIGHT!!!

Quick Reply: ???UNUSUAL NOISE???