3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

???UNUSUAL NOISE???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???UNUSUAL NOISE???

When i am driving from 30mph & up i have a noise that sounds like i am dragging a chain under my truck i have replaced both front hubs (they were bad anyway) and replaced the rear driveshaft u-joints. this noise does sound like it is coming from the front of my truck both the front diff and transfer case have had the fluids changed and were full before as they are now as well. If you have had this noise or have any suggestions please let me know! It is a 2002 ram 1500 QC 6" procomp lift with 35x12.50x18's.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:09 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Default RE: UNUSUAL NOISE

On my 05' 1500 It sounds like a ratteling sound (chain dragging as you described)coming from the passenger side area about mid cab. it only does it when lightly accelerating from 45mph-50mph all other times it can not be heard. Its been doing that for about a year and a half, and I still cant figure out where its coming from.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

It is a rattle i guess but i have been told by friends they think it sounds like a chain! the thing that pisses me off is i am an ASE master tech and i cant figure this one out!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same "chain" noise on my 03 Dak.... Had no idea, thought it might be something in the transmission... It never slipped or had any tranny problems though

Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

it cant be the tranny it was doin it when i got the truck and the stealership i mean dealership has rebuilt the tranny twice due to their own mess up's. It just seems to me that it is getting worse and the front driveshaft u-joint hasnt been replaced but i have never heard of a u-joint making this kind of noise!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Could this be pinging? Seems to have some of the symptoms -- light acceleration, rattling sound. What grade/brand of gas are you using? Maybe there is some sort of resonance from the exhaust system? Loose or broken clamp?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
mfs212
Captain

Good Point, Logan. The only reason I thought tranny was because of where the noise was coming from. I have no other reason for saying that it was the tranny.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Mine isn't pininging, I run 89 minimum and always have the tuner set to 87, it was doing it for mine even before I got the tuner and is doing it on all fuel varieties (87,89,91) its also a constant rattle and then goes away.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

i am runnig either 89 or 91 octane but mine was doing when i bought it and i no longer have a tuner or upgraded pcm i had a fully modified pcm when i was running my supercharger. With that pcm it would spark knock even with 93 octane so i had to blen 93 and 110 to get about 102 octane out of it. but this is a constant noise and it doesn't seem to be coming from the front diff either that is why i am suspecting the front u-joint it is also the only thing i haven replaced except for rebuilt transfer case and new front diff!! It is definately starting to drive me crazy!!! And it seems that it is progressively getting worse.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: atlaticblueram

i am runnig either 89 or 91 octane but mine was doing when i bought it and i no longer have a tuner or upgraded pcm i had a fully modified pcm when i was running my supercharger. With that pcm it would spark knock even with 93 octane so i had to blen 93 and 110 to get about 102 octane out of it. but this is a constant noise and it doesn't seem to be coming from the front diff either that is why i am suspecting the front u-joint it is also the only thing i haven replaced except for rebuilt transfer case and new front diff!! It is definately starting to drive me crazy!!! And it seems that it is progressively getting worse.
Sounds like the octane issue has been dismissed... I'm thinking exhaust physical connection somewhere -- loose/broken clamp?

Quick Reply: ???UNUSUAL NOISE???